Oak Maedow Phuket
Oak Maedow Phuket BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Passenger handed B5k reward for reporting ‘multitasking’ bus driver

Passenger handed B5k reward for reporting ‘multitasking’ bus driver

PHUKET: The Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) has handed over the B5,000 fine levied on the driving caught on video letting his 7-year-old son handle the steering wheel of an interprovincial bus in Phuket last Friday night (Dec 14) to the woman who posted the incident online.

tourismtransportSafety

Wednesday 19 December 2018, 03:20PM

The bus driver, Surachai Riap-roy, 45, who was also recorded taking a video call on his phone while his son was “driving”, also had his licence suspended for one month – a penalty made moot if Surachai makes good on his claim that he will seek work following another career. To this, he did quit his job as a bus driver. (See story here.)

PLTO Chief Banyat Kantha, accompanied by PLTO Chief Policy Specialist Praprai Sounkul, announced the B5,000 reward for reporting the incident at a press conference yesterday (Dec 18).

“The Phuket Transport Office has fined Mr Surachai B5,000 and suspended his license for one month in accordance with the Land Transport Act, BE 2522 (1979), Section 102 and Section 107,” Mr Banyat said yesterday.

“We gave the B5,000 as a reward to the passenger who recorded the video and posted it online,” he added.

Internal - Phuket News TV

“We have also ordered the bus company involved, Phatthalung Thaksin Transport Co Ltd, to refund the fare to this passenger,” Mr Banyat said.

Chob Phutsupa, Chief of the Phuket Bus Terminal 2, located on Thepkrasattri Rd north of Phuket Town, and where the bus involved departed from, said, “From this incident, officers will strictly check drivers and their vehicles for the safety of passengers.

“We will be focusing on that the driver must be fit to drive carefully and abide by the traffic laws,” she said.

Galong | 25 December 2018 - 09:31:38

.... it's truly amazing how many cops are on the streets when a VIP is in town, but you're right, when are we going to see them actually patrol?  I'm sure, like me, you see people breaking the law every day. Some of the things I see are very, very dangerous.

Kurt | 25 December 2018 - 06:52:14

... Correct, the Thai not live in a police state, they live since 2014 in a 'army state'.  And there is a difference between no police at all or  police at every corner' as you wrote.
...Exaggerating is a art..., Yes?

Kurt | 24 December 2018 - 13:36:25

...perhaps you missed it, but Thai authorities become increasingly aware that viral negative publicity is not good for Thailand. Going viral is a strong 'anti' instrument. Seen the 'excuse' countries you mention shows you not yet understand the significance.

Jor12 | 24 December 2018 - 13:12:57

Well it's because we don't live a Police state where cops are on every corner.  If you live in a civil society, there are some rights and responsibilities that you have which include reporting crimes. So, if you witness a murder, you just comment on here?

DeKaaskopp | 22 December 2018 - 19:00:54

"I publish the cam recording worldwide" Wow,i guess people in Madagascar,Papua New Guinea or Kiribati are very excited to see them. Must have  millions of follower already.

Kurt | 21 December 2018 - 10:53:21

.... why you always want us to do work what thai authorities/RTP supposed to do and are paid for? As long as you (!) and me not see thai professional duties, civic duties are not relevant.
This not taking in account that at RTP stations many complains are waved away, as we read daily in Bangkokpost and other news agents.  Get it?

Kurt | 21 December 2018 - 10:30:29

@ Jor12, My cams are for self protective use. For my insurance and going to court after i publish the cam recording world wide. That is in Thailand for a foreigner the only way to get justice, and not get talked into a fake guilt by RTP.
Your question actually asked for RTP high way patrols that not exist. I not work for RTP. They have to keep up their own professional trousers.

Jor12 | 20 December 2018 - 17:26:00

If you have all these pics, why aren't you doing your civic duty and reporting them to authorities? If not what is the point of having front and back web cams...so you can see where you going and where you have been? You have to get more to see patrols. Ring them first so you can see them,

Kurt | 19 December 2018 - 15:38:07

Wow, I have many wrong road doings by these professional drivers on my front and back dash cams, mostly Van's. Any chance I get a 5000 thb bonus for showing the dangerous wrong doings of tourist Van drivers? Registration plate numbers very clear.  Oh, and how about  that highway police thing? When they start patrolling on the Phuket roads? Never see them. Anyone?

Weighing the consequences

I am from Hong Kong, many of us are looking for safe places to transfer investments. Thailand is th...(Read More)

Phuket Opinion: The middle way

and reg. the 2 cases in Tak I find it very curious how first of all a Myanmar Truck driver could ent...(Read More)

Phuket Opinion: The middle way

Why I care care about their testing rate DEK is very simple, because the testing regime in LOS is an...(Read More)

Seven more Phuket hotels await Bangkok approval to operate as ALSQs, while two key hotels withdraw

Well, if the 41 people who are coming here go to Phuket, 1400+ rooms should be plenty. ...(Read More)

Sure...and how many are coming? I believe 41 was the #, if they go to Phuket. 1400 rooms should be...(Read More)

Tourists to get unlimited 30-day extensions to stay after ‘visa amnesty’ ends

I am trying to come to Thailand on my retirement visa which expires on the 27th of Oct. when I will ...(Read More)

Vaccines ‘by June’ if jab gets government nod

" At first I was proud of Thailand with their..." Hahaha Kurt, from the very beginning y...(Read More)

Vaccines ‘by June’ if jab gets government nod

..'Due to relatively low number of cases'.. At first I was proud of Thailand with their ver...(Read More)