THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

First of the neutered monkeys released into the Phuket wild

PHUKET: The first 42 monkeys neutered under the wild-monkey campaign were released back to their home mangrove swamp in Rassada yesterday (June 18), with more neutered-monkey releases to come, wildlife officials assured.

animalsenvironmentnatural-resourcestourism
By The Phuket News

Tuesday 19 June 2018, 12:54PM


The monkeys were released back to their home mangrove swamp near Kingkaew Soi 9 in Rassada at 4pm, the same area where they were caught just days ago. (See story here.)

Present for the release were Phuket Vice Governor Thawornwat Kongkaew and Pongchart Chouehorm, Director of the Natural and Wildlife Education Centre, Khao Phra Theaw, who has been tasked with carrying out the campign, and vets from Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) who are carrying our the mass sterilsations.

So far 71 captured monkeys have been neutered, officials said, noting that sterilising about 60% of any wild monkey troupe should help to control their population, which has been among the chief concerns prompting the campaign. (See story here.)

Other neutered monkeys will be released at appropriate places, the wildlife officials noted.

BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET

Following the monkey release at Kingkaew Soi 9, Mr Pongchart and his campaign associates went to inspect the cages set up at the at Monkey View Point at Koh Siray, also in Rassada, at 7:45pm.

A total of 52 wild monkeys had been captured there, Mr Pongchart reported,

In total, we have now caught 216 wild monkeys,” he said.

As with their fellow wild monkeys rounded up from areas where they are starting to be considered troublesome, the monkeys caught at Koh Siray yesterday were taken to the site near Bang Pae Waterfall in the Khao Phra Theaw Non-Hunting Area to join the mass-sterilisation program.

 

 

Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.

Comments Here:
Comments Left:
# Characters
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:

Kurt | 20 June 2018 - 10:15:11

How to control the monkey population if only 60% are neutered/sterilized, given that all 60% will be done effective. The remaining 40% will do double their efforts to produce babies, that is how nature works.

Have a news tip-off? Click here

 

Phuket community
B1bn earmarked to improve road safety around schools

The picture says it all. 3 kids on a bike with no helmets and presumably no license (they don't ...(Read More)


Taxi driver charged after collision with motorbike leaves man, 74, dead

Way to set an example and actually improve road safety RTP... not. Spurious charges like this only s...(Read More)


Dogs rounded up at Ao Nang as PM visits Finnish boy dog-attack victim in hospital

Whatever the condition of more than 20 dogs is, they should never be allowed to be again at the beac...(Read More)


B1bn earmarked to improve road safety around schools

See the photo: 3 thai girls on 1 motorbike, no helmets, probably without driving license. And talki...(Read More)


Doubts on pot use linger over amended drug law

Well, a lot of tumbling new rules/laws/bla bla's. contradicting in everything, so, nothing will...(Read More)


Taxi driver charged after collision with motorbike leaves man, 74, dead

Correct application of the law. If you're too lazy to look at the road and what you or others i...(Read More)


Phuket health officials, police unite to enforce Makha Bucha alcohol ban

Dek, you are always talking about how you don't want Thailand to be a Nanny state. Now you are p...(Read More)


Finnish boy, 5, attacked by stray dogs at Ao Nang, Krabi

When will the Thai government stop taking orders from other governments and foreign organizations su...(Read More)


German expat gets eight years jail for slaying Phuket girlfriend

8 Years? You call that justice? I think a bullet in the back of the head would have been a more a...(Read More)


Finnish boy, 5, attacked by stray dogs at Ao Nang, Krabi

Dek, your comment makes no sense. Snakes not attack people when they are not provocated and feel the...(Read More)