On October 23, Fomenko bashed an abbot statue at Wat Karon and used a crowbar to smash the window of a truck he tried to steal.
Mr Santi, whose remit includes Phuket, Krabi, and Phang-Nga, was accompanied on his visit by Pol Lt Col Sophon Borirak of Karon Police Station and five police officers, along with five Russian citizens.
They were met by the abbot of the wat, village headwoman Arunsri Kranma, community leader Norm Yenjit and about 20 villagers.
Handing over B310,000 in compensation for the damage done, Mr Santi again apologised on behalf of Fomenko for the actions of the Russian, who remains locked up in Phuket Provincial Prison awaiting trial for vandalism and attempted theft of a vehicle.
Fomenko was initially locked up because police were worried for his safety. He has since said that he remembers nothing of the incident and believes that someone spiked his drinks.
Mr Santi told the villagers that he would be sending an official letter of apology to Wat Karon and would tell tour agencies handling Russians to make sure their clients understand that they must respect holy places and Thai culture.
He said he hoped that today’s gathering would bring closure to the events, with any hard feelings being set aside.
Ms Arunsri thanked all concerned for the way the problem had been handled and said that she considers the matter closed.


