Kata Rocks
Oak Maedow Phuket BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Phuket Immigration confirms no fee for letter confirming address

Phuket Immigration confirms no fee for letter confirming address

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro today (July 20) confirmed that the letter from Immigration confirming a foreigner’s registered address, specifically required for a  foreigner to be issued or to renew a driver’s licence, is free to obtain.

immigration

Monday 20 July 2020, 03:32PM

The confirmation follows complaints that foreigners were being asked to pay B300 for the letter.

“There is no fee for this written confirmation. It is free,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro confirmed to The Phuket News in a brief conversation by phone today.

Col Nareuwat then asked for Lt Col Worapol Panpetch, who holds the position of Inspector at Phuket Immigration, to explain further.

“The letter is needed for foreigners to be able to renew their driver’s licence. It is free. There is no fee of B300,” Lt Col Worapol repeated.

“This is not the first time that we have received this kind of complaint. Last year, I also received a complaint that Phuket Town Immigration was asking for B300 for a letter confirming a foreigner’s address. I have not heard more complaints about this until now,” he added.

“I will again remind all officers that this letter is free,” he said.

“There is no need to fill out any form to request this letter. Just come to the office and tell the officers here this is what you need,” Lt Col Worapol explained.

ZENITHY POOL VILLAS

Lt Col Worapol also confirmed that a full list of fees charged by Immigration is not posted downstairs at the main Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket Town.

“Some of the usual fees charged are posted in English on notices at the downstairs office, but not all them. The fee for this letter is obviously not listed because it is free.” he noted.

However, a large notice listing all the fees charged by Immigration is posted in the upstairs office, Lt Col Worapol explained.

“A second copy of this notice is expected to arrive in the next two to three days, and that be posted downstairs,” he said.

Lt Col Worapol urged any foreigners who would like to file complaints to call him directly at 086-1069848.

Alternatively, foreigners can report complaints to Phuket Immigration Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Udom Thongchin at 081-9784645, or or directly to Phuket Immigration Chief Col Narong Chanapaikul himself at 086-3454545.

All these contact numbers for reporting complaints are posted on a large notice beside the downstairs main door, Lt Col Worapong noted.

Christy Sweet | 03 August 2020 - 17:24:57

Two years ago I complained to the Immigration hotline about Patong simply refusing to issue  such a document when I asked for a receipt. I called right there from the office in fact.
 El Zilcho was done.

zib | 03 August 2020 - 14:17:18

Went in for 2 letters. 600 baht. Asked for recipt. Now it was suddenly free

Cappy | 22 July 2020 - 13:16:59

I too was charged 900 Baht for 3 letters. (300 Baht each). Asked if could use 1 original and a copy for drivers license was told can not, yet Department of Motor Vehicle said can. Needed 3rd for motorcycle purchase.

Kurt | 22 July 2020 - 12:59:59

I wait for the time that foreign flights are allowed to touch down on Phuket again. And we can see or Immigration restores ( or not) the illegal 'fast line' a la 100 thb per person. Last year Immigration Chief airport said: 'It is over now, no need to talk about it anymore'. Perhaps there is by now a new commanding Immigration Chief at Phuket airport with new passenger queue instru...

Das | 21 July 2020 - 17:04:11

It has always been free. Every time I've been in for one I've told them I hadn't had to pay for one before. Sometimes I've needed to tell the two or three times. Know your rights, don't back down, and they'll eventually give up.

Fascinated | 21 July 2020 - 12:54:23

Good luck renewing a retirement permit if you make a formal complaint about the IOs!!

eagle0211 | 21 July 2020 - 11:48:20

I needed three copies last year and was asked to pay 900THB.
Same this year, just 3 weeks ago. I needed another 3 copies and had to pay 900THB. No receipt was given. Last year I had a Thai friend with me and asked her to check as I knew that it should be FOC but she told me to better keep quiet.....usual game

SEC2 | 21 July 2020 - 09:21:42

I paid 600 baht for 2 of these letters last month for my drivers license.   When I first moved here 5 years ago I was told to ALWAYS get a receipt at immigration.  After 5 years I guess I became complacent.    Lesson learned, never to be forgotten.  ALWAYS get a receipt at immigration for any money you pay.  I've been burned worse in my life, but it still stings.

jay71 | 21 July 2020 - 06:15:35

I had to pay 600 thb two weeks ago for two certificates (as I had to renew two driving licenses). No receipt and paid to a trainee at the counter not an officer. I sent a mail later to immigration but still no answer. I hope this will be clear once for all.

jealoustiger | 21 July 2020 - 00:37:53

“There is no fee for this written confirmation. It is free,”.. There was a fee.. I sat there and they said 300 baht and I paid it.. :(

Nasa12 | 20 July 2020 - 19:59:19

Last time I had to renew my driving license and had to have this confirmation they should also have 300 baht, I asked is this not free.  Got the answer that came back in 4 weeks so it is free, and we keep your passport for these 4 weeks up to you Imm officer say.

Fascinated | 20 July 2020 - 19:55:15

Gotta be a brave foreigner to question this. He is right though- no Officer took my B300 in January- it was the lady in front who is NOT an IO.  The guy at Counter 4 has been playing this game for years. Personally I wish they would just legalise the letter and charge the same- after all a bank letter and statement have to be paid for so why not an official Immigration Document.

Seven killed, 40 hurt in Korat bus-lorry crash

Fun fact, that's 12% of the total COVID fatalities for Thailand. 12% of all the deaths that have...(Read More)

Koh Chang resort sues expat over bad review

Lets not forget that now defunct Phuket based news website which spent years in the courts over comm...(Read More)

Thai Chamber of Commerce seeks visa amnesty for tourists

Point is: Thai Immigration not provide Visa, only hand out extensions....(Read More)

Thai Chamber of Commerce seeks visa amnesty for tourists

@Foot. One can not require for a Retirement extension with a tourist visa. One needs a A/O/B- or wha...(Read More)

Phuket Opinion: Corruption, and the Big Joke

Thank you for your honesty Phuket news. You are the only honest English media outlet for expats in P...(Read More)

CCSA panel to approve visa scheme to allow foreign tourists into country

The Thai Government set the requirements or hotel yes/no can become a ASLQ hotel, do include the pri...(Read More)

Koh Chang resort sues expat over bad review

How sad is that resort. If you can't cope with criticism then provide decent service to guests o...(Read More)

CCSA panel to approve visa scheme to allow foreign tourists into country

5: Make the price of that thai quarantine period the same for every tourist. 6: THAI only flys a fe...(Read More)

CCSA panel to approve visa scheme to allow foreign tourists into country

Really piece of office desk work, that STV thing. It will not work. 1: From which airports these ...(Read More)

Thai Chamber of Commerce seeks visa amnesty for tourists

@Foot, not interested in bending the rules or their intentions. Not interested in retiring in Thaila...(Read More)