Tengoku
Tengoku
The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Phuket-grown durian gets a push

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Agriculture Office is holding a ‘Phuket Durian Fair’ in front of its offices on Narisorn Rd in Phuket Town to promote locally grown durian and help boost incomes of local farmers.

agriculture
By The Phuket News

Friday 17 June 2022, 04:34PM


At the opening event yesterday (June 16), Phuket Agriculture Chief Suban Rakthong explained that Phuket was home to 789 households that were durian farmers.

About 80% of the durians grown on the island are local varieties, with the remaining 20% grown being Mongthong, Chanee and other varieties.

An estimated 2,511 rai on Phuket is used for durian farming, which yields 610 tonnes of the fruit a year, altogether valued at B53.68 million per year, he said.

“And the trend is rising,” Mr Suban said.

“We hope farmers use more of their land to grow durian to replace other crops, as the current price of durian is an incentive for farmers to grow more durians,” he said.

Subscribe to The Phuket News

“Also, Phuket is a tourism province which has a high demand for durians, especially among foreign tourists from elsewhere throughout Asia. Durian is very popular among them,” he added. 

“If Phuket tourism is fully open, this will allow farmers to earn more income from selling agricultural products,” Mr Sukban said.

Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panaphong, present for the event yesterday, noted that the fair showcases locally grown durian, and locally made durian products.

The fair includes competitions for the best locally grown durian recipes for durian-derived products, and features exhibitions explaining the different types of durians available.

Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.

CAPTCHA

Be the first to comment.

 

Have a news tip-off? Click here

 

Phuket community
Phuket Governor addresses tsunami fears

Given that he is such a clever airport damage engineer and road flooding engineer.Maybe get out and ...(Read More)


Expats caught up in Phuket visa scams face being forced to leave the country

This highlights a obvious flaw in the current system, what happens if you lose your passport. Emerge...(Read More)


Chinese investors courted

Is anyone keeping count of the hubs- its off the scale. Just another vassal state for the future. Ju...(Read More)


Crew rescued as cargo boat sinks in storm

I wonder if the alleged millions of baht worth of cargo was insured?...(Read More)


Expats caught up in Phuket visa scams face being forced to leave the country

" No mercy for Expats" is the sett up of Immigration and their Agents friends. Their aim i...(Read More)


Expats caught up in Phuket visa scams face being forced to leave the country

Expats caught in visa scam of 2 Agents and Phuket Immigration being forced to leave the country, eve...(Read More)


Officials assure Phuket is prepared for tsunami warning

DDPM-Phuket Chief talks 'keep calm' nonsense. Telling Phuket- (and Phang Nga) people that P...(Read More)


Expats caught up in Phuket visa scams face being forced to leave the country

And off course the NACC Phuket Chief Suksan Prasara-ae are silent. ...(Read More)


Expats caught up in Phuket visa scams face being forced to leave the country

This is a criminal violation and in no way under the jurisdiction of Immigration. Use of an agent ...(Read More)