Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana said at a press conference held earlier this week that the Vegetarian Festival is a major ancient event for Phuket’s Chinese-Thai community with traditions that have been handed down through the generations.
The event takes place on the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar.
The festival is not only about abstaining from meat but is also a chance for people to make a merit, show faith, bring harmony to the people of Phuket and also promote tourism as well.
This year’s festival will begin at 5pm on Monday (Oct 8) with the raising of the Go Teng poles at participating Chinese shrines across the island.
At 4pm on Wednesday (Oct 10) there will be a procession to honour King of Rama 10 from Sanam Chai Park in front of Phuket Provincial Hall to Spahan Hin Park and a prayer ceremony for King Rama 9 at 6pm at Spahan Hin Park.
Moreover, each of the participating shrines in Phuket will have their own ceremonies and parades during the festival period.
Phuket City Municipality would like to warn the people take care during this period and beware of the following:
1. Be careful when lighting incense sticks, candles, firecrackers and burning Chinese gold papers.1.
2. For sanitation, every cooking processes has to be clean, hygienic and no contamination as per festival rules.
3. As the festival has ceremonies, please plan check and plan travel routes in advance to decrease traffic problems and please drive carefully.
4. For those who attend the event with children, please write your name, address and telephone number on a piece of paper and put it in your child’s pocket in case they become separated from you.
5. Unfortunately, festivals sometimes draw criminals so please keep your valuables and belongings safe.
For the full schedule of events, please see https://www.phuketvegetarian.com/ebook-phuketvegetarian61.pdf