THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

PHUKET: The Phuket man who bought the wreck of the fateful Phuket tour boat Phoenix at auction earlier this month aims to restore the boat and then sink it at the same location where it fell beneath the waves in July last year, killing 47 Chinese tourists, as a way of making merit.

tourismtransportdisastersdeathChineseculture
By Tanyaluk Sakoot

Friday 16 August 2019, 12:32PM

Preecha Jaiart, who operates the Truck2hand.com website for selling secondhand heavy vehicles, including trucks, buses, vans and boats, conducted several merit-making ceremonies on the boat at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town yesterday (Aug 15).

Mr Preecha bought the salvaged wreck of the Phoenix for B905,000 at an auction held in Phuket on Aug 7. (See story here.)

The boat was finally sold after several attempts by the Anti-Money Laundering Office (Amlo), which has been tasked with disposing of the state-seized asset since police investigators completed their inspections last year into the operations of the former owner for operating illegally. (See story here.)

“Lots of people have asked why I bought the Phoenix,” Mr Preecha said.

“I am a Phuket person and a Thai citizen. I feel deeply saddened as many people lost their lives in the tragic accident,” he added.

“Those who died from the tragic boat sinking were tourists who came to travel to my hometown and unfortunately have to be here forever. I want to try my best to take care of them,” he said.

“Next, I want to restore the Phoenix to be good condition like it used to be, and return it back to the sea where the boat lay on the seabed. If possible, I also want to invite (Deputy Prime Minister) Mr Prawit Wongsuwan to preside over the ceremony to return the boat to the sea,” Mr Preecha explained.

Asked why he would want to restore the boat and then sink it again, Mr Preecha simply replied, "It just feels like the right thing to do."

Laguna Golf Phuket

Mr Preecha is now encountering a wall of bureaucracy in fulfilling his wish.

“The process to do that is not easy. I am talking with with the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), the Phuket Provincial Environment Office and the Phuket Marine Office.

“It is proving very difficult and complicated, but I assure you that I won’t break the boat down and sell its parts as other merchants would. My true aim is that I want Chinese people to know that Thai people love them like our close family members.” he said.

Mr Preecha added that he was open to other ideas of what to do with the Phoenix.

“I still need feedback about my idea. Please post your comments on whether you think it is appropriate or not. Or if you have a better idea, please let me know,” he said.

Mr Preecha invited people to post their comments on his Facebook page. (Click here.)

Christy Sweet | 18 August 2019 - 16:48:02

Argh - hating the recently added non edit function- please capitalize P in Phoenix.

Christy Sweet | 18 August 2019 - 16:45:46

Florida resident here, with many hurricane experiences and that was a Category 1 which I was driving in heading  north on the Patong -Surin coast road. Is the phoenix one of those converted fishing boats that are too top heavy, I wonder.

BenPendejo | 17 August 2019 - 07:58:43

Interesting to see the helm, where the Captain was at the controls before he realized that he REALLY screwed this up, and decided to get the hell out of there and leave over 100 other terrified tourists to fend for themselves.  Certainly one of the greatest acts of cowardice I know of.

Kurt | 16 August 2019 - 14:34:03

It is shocking to read that:
1:There is a wall of thai bureaucracy to overcome.
2: It is proving very thai difficult and thai complicated..
For what reasons? Is it disturbing institutions that make since the lifting of the Phoenix good money with present situation? Is corruption playing a role? Just a thought, just a question.

Kurt | 16 August 2019 - 14:27:03

Just recently mr Preecha told us he liked the Phoenix remaining at the ship yard grounds. His latest thinking to sink the Phoenix at the disaster location is great. There it can be a underwater monument and new dive site. As being asked, I feel it is very appropriate and support 100% his idea.

Karon Police reveal details of Norwegian arrested for death of Brit at Phuket resort

What a mess...this is going to go over great in both the UK and the Indian community. Bad enough to...(Read More)

Yamil is dead

"..do they speak Dugongese?" Must be that kind of joke people laughing in the outback abou...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

@Sajanee,sorry that doesn't top my list.Not even top 500.Being drunk and naked and breaking in s...(Read More)

Yamil is dead

Their track record isn"t too good.. and how do they know it was suffering" internal stomac...(Read More)

Yamil is dead

I refrained from posting a less than optimistic prognosis for Yamil last night, but I knew this was ...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

And to top your ridiculous list Gerry, Bullman was drunk and totally naked when he broke into the B...(Read More)

Behind bras: GMS Duty Free calls for donated intimates for inmates

K,please stop your clamor.Donate one,even if it is a second hand one from your own collection....(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

This is full of rubbish! how is he given bail. And the story is one sided. ...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

"There was no steak knife involved.Moreover,they are vegetarian"!!!Uuhmm,yes.I have read m...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

And the fact that a murderer can so easily get bail.... disgusting!...(Read More)