tengoku

I’ve done my best, says Prayut

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has insisted he has tried his best during his time as the country’s leader and said he will respect the decision of voters if they don’t give him the chance to serve another term at the next election.

politicsCoronavirusCOVID-19RussianUkraine
By Bangkok Post

Thursday 31 March 2022, 07:35AM

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha speaks to reporters at Government House mid this month. Photo: Government House photo

“I am trying to do my job to the best of my ability. Despite criticism and insults against me, I hold no grudge against anyone,” Gen Prayut said at a media briefing at Government House yesterday (Mar 30).

“I cannot please everyone, but I have to act for the benefit of most people,” he said. “If I have a chance, I will carry on. If not, I will just go back home. That’s all.”

The prime minister also dismissed criticism that his visit to vendors at Talad Saphan Khao on Lan Luang Road in Dusit district on Tuesday was a disguised attempt to canvass for any particular candidate running in the Bangkok governor election, reports the Bangkok Post.

Prayut said he only wanted to visit people and offer them some moral support during this period of economic hardship.

“I told them I am doing all I can to help them. I know people are experiencing hardship and unhappiness. Therefore, as a prime minister, how can I be happy?” he said.

“I receive reports 24 hours every day. I also get information from social media. I know how people are suffering.

“The government is trying to tackle problems, though we may not yet achieve 100% of our goals and not everyone is satisfied with it. But we have to admit that the crisis is unprecedented,” Prayut said, referring to the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact of rising fuel prices due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

“This must be taken into account and the government should be given fair treatment,” he said.

Devas Lounge

Prayut said he will try to find time to visit more people and give them his support, regardless of whether they support him or not.

“I am not doing everything just for the sake of canvassing for votes,” he said.

The PM said he preferred making a visit without any prior announcement to avoid confrontation with any protest groups that might heckle him.

“Problems often arise if such a visit is declared in advance. Therefore, I have to find a chance to visit myself. But I also have to heed advice from officials responsible for security arrangements.”

Prayut also warned against any attempts to stir up political conflicts and said the government is duty-bound to maintain peace and order.

The prime minister said that projects initiated by the government are intended to respond to the needs of people regardless of which political party they support.

Prayut previously shrugged off poll results on potential candidates, by the National Institute of Development Administration released Sunday, that suggested his popularity was waning and insisted the government has fared well in running the country.

According to the poll, Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat outpolled Prayut - 13.42% to 12.67% - for the post of prime minister. Prayut’s popularity plummeted from the 16.9% received in December. However, a number larger than the two candidates’ scores combined, (27.62%) said none of the options presented were suitable for the post, the poll found.

CaptainJack69 | 31 March 2022 - 12:48:54

Will be interesting. He's still very popular out there in the real world, and TBH he hasn't done a bad job and doesn't SEEM to be committing any egregious corruption (cronyism yes, but not corruption). Plus he still has elections constitutionally weighted towards the junta. Hard to see him not getting re-elected really.

Fascinated | 31 March 2022 - 10:42:59

'Come on guys, I've done my best for the people but nasty people criticize me. ' What a sycophantic self-serving speech from someone who is all about himself and his cronies, not the people. The people need to voice their choice in a free and fair election, not some junta-rigged one.

Kurt | 31 March 2022 - 10:12:20

Regardless (true?) efforts, generals are not the right material to run a country. They are brought up in a job what aims different. The sad thing with generals who unlawful get in power ( coups) is they don't know what they don't know to run a country.( Not only in Thailand).

Nasa12 | 31 March 2022 - 10:11:16

When your best is not good enough it's time to go don't you think.

JohnC | 31 March 2022 - 09:22:48

Yes, he did his best. His best to enrich himself to the detriment of all Thai people. When will an honest politician stand up and be counted in this country. Does such a thing actually exist? He is no better than that criminal Taksin was.

Traffic patience urged as schools reopen

Great to see at school drop off. Covid prevention measures including masks and temperature checks. S...(Read More)

Missing German tourist found safe

My mother suffered from Alzheimers disease before she died, it is a cruel, servere illness requiring...(Read More)

Female students face police over vicious attack on 11-year-old

@ beachshak, The answer is simple. Thai Officialdom only steps up and feel forced to take action aft...(Read More)

Public split on pension payout

Always funny if a retiree who actually doesn't do anything keeps moaning about other peoples wo...(Read More)

Ukrainians arrested in Phuket, face extradition for offences in US

@Kurt 1922 ? With your sometimes antiquated square thinking, I think that year could be also yo...(Read More)

Missing German tourist found safe

Kurt@second time it happened - could have ended terribly not to mention to cost of the search they w...(Read More)

Female students face police over vicious attack on 11-year-old

Why was the footage allowed to circulate on Facebook ? Zuckerbergs toxic anti social Narcissism plat...(Read More)

Missing German tourist found safe

Fault finger pointing to people on holiday in another environment is a difficult thing. The lady pro...(Read More)

Female students face police over vicious attack on 11-year-old

These 3 little violent sadists have to be taken out of roulation for a while. Lock them up in a prob...(Read More)

Ukrainians arrested in Phuket, face extradition for offences in US

Putin is going to get exactly the opposite of what was his aim, invading Ukraine to prevent her to b...(Read More)