Tengoku British International School, Phuket

I’ll be back, says Thaksin

BANGKOK: Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra has responded to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s come-home challenge, saying he will return to Thailand.

politics
By Bangkok Post

Thursday 21 July 2022, 08:51AM

Photo: Bangkok Post

Photo: Bangkok Post

“I’ll come back for sure. I’ll definitely come back,” said Thaksin in a Tuesday night (July 19) ClubHouse chat post under his alias Tony Woodsome.

Thaksin, who posts messages on the platform on a regular basis, also poked fun at Gen Prayut, saying he appeared to be thinking about him all the time, reports the Bangkok Post.

“If he asks where I am, I’ll say I’m always on his mind. When reporters ask him... or when there is a parliament debate, I’m the first on his mind,” said the fugitive prime minister.

Thaksin called on the prime minister to have a firm strategy and said he was willing to give advice.

His comments came after Prayut challenged the Pheu Thai Party to bring two self-exiled former prime ministers - namely Thaksin and his sister Yingluck Shinawatra - back home to solve the country’s problems. He was speaking on the first day of the censure debate on Tuesday.

Barketek

“As the prime minister, I don’t know everything. I am not good at everything. I am not someone you might say is the cleverest person. But where is he [Thaksin] now?

“I know you may admire some people who previously held this position and praise them for doing a better job than me. That’s fine. Just bring them back if you can,” Prayut said on Tuesday.

When asked about Thaksin’s Clubhouse remarks, Prayut pointed to his lips and said: “Talking is what a mouth is for. People can say anything they want.”

Thaksin fled the country in 2008 shortly before being convicted by the Supreme Court for abuse of authority in connection with a land purchase deal, while Yingluck fled in 2017 shortly before the court sentenced her to five years in jail for ignoring corruption in the first rice-pledging scheme.

In January this year, Thaksin announced a plan to end his self-imposed exile and return to Thailand this year as “a gift for Thais”.

Kurt | 22 July 2022 - 11:47:21

....Power/financial wise. The Thai society inequality gap did grow since the coup in 2014, and is enormous.

Kurt | 22 July 2022 - 11:44:06

There is quite some anti-sentiment about Thaksin. Fact is he was 'Thai-democratic' elected, and 'Thai-democratic' re-elected by the Thai people. It did scare people of certain 'high echelon'.  It was threatening to them and being good in conspiracy thinking/acting they planned/organised the coup, in order to keep Thailand in by/for them preferent lucrative state. Power/fina...

Kurt | 21 July 2022 - 10:06:17

Coup plotter Prayut's words will be remembered:  "I don't know everything, I am not good in everything ( he even could not swear correctly a oath), not being the cleverest person". But he knows that the mouth is for talking. For sure he will be remembered in not keeping his promise to reform the Royal Thai Police.

Fascinated | 21 July 2022 - 09:25:09

Maybe he should challenge the Red Bull Cop Killing Coward to come back as well. Oh- that won't happen til 2027 will it!

JohnC | 21 July 2022 - 08:57:46

The whole Taksin clan should be locked up for ever and the keys thrown away. Their jailers should be poor honest Thais who were cheated out of their land and savings by corrupt government officials. No shortage of them in the LOS.

Kamala to hold tsunami evacuation drill

@Oldguy...no, of course not. Have you ever heard the siren? And no...the buoys don't work...&quo...(Read More)

Bangla nightlife venues hold mass fire drill

Were the exits locked and blocked as they usually are? ...(Read More)

Phuket looks to tackle teenage pregnancies

Some Years ago I had a vasectomy so I wouldn't have children. When I got home afterwards, they ...(Read More)

Kamala to hold tsunami evacuation drill

Will the early warning buoys out in the Andaman be working? ...(Read More)

Kamala to hold tsunami evacuation drill

Does this mean the tsunami warning sirens will be working? ...(Read More)

Phuket Town police hunt beer thief

Silly beer thief. RTP catch him within 24 hours. 'Funny' crime doing. Unless it is a misun...(Read More)

New bill outlines limits on ganja use

This will not be the last bill. More relaxing bills will follow when the Officialdom panick dust has...(Read More)

Irate Thai tourists seek tour refunds

Do I understand correct that this is a article about illegal Thai business and Thai cheating Thai? H...(Read More)

Bangla nightlife venues hold mass fire drill

So, as 'key factor' in Tiger Discotheque was recognized, are all Phuket indoor night spots a...(Read More)

Phuket looks to tackle teenage pregnancies

Solution is simple. Start giving good sexual education in Mattayon-1. Classes with slides, film mate...(Read More)