The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Government to prosecute oil hoarders over March fuel crisis

Government to prosecute oil hoarders over March fuel crisis

BANGKOK: The government will take legal action against oil traders who hoarded fuel, mainly diesel, on boats and trucks in March, the justice minister said yesterday (May 18).

natural-resourcescrime
By Bangkok Post

Tuesday 19 May 2026 08:54 AM


Petrol stations along Route 21 in Phetchabun ran dry of diesel before noon on Mar 23. Photo: Radio Thailand, Phetchabun

Petrol stations along Route 21 in Phetchabun ran dry of diesel before noon on Mar 23. Photo: Radio Thailand, Phetchabun

Justice Minister Pol Lt Gen Rutthapon Naowarat announced the move at a press conference at Royal Thai Police headquarters to announce the findings of an inquiry and charges against traders who withheld diesel during the shortage in March this year, reports the Bangkok Post.

He was accompanied by deputy national police chief Pol Gen Thatchai Pitaneelaboot, Energy Minister Akanat Promphan, Pol Lt Col Yutthana Praedam, director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), and officials from the Excise Department, the Department of Energy Business and the Department of Internal Trade.

Investigators found that fuel traders licensed under Section 7 of the Fuel Trade Act, those operating their own service stations, deliberately held back fuel during the closure of the Strait of Hormuz from Mar 20 to 25, despite holding sufficient reserves.

More than 29.2 million litres of diesel, about 20.2% of the supply, disappeared from the distribution system during that period.

Of 257 tanker vessel trips examined, 23 carrying a combined 50.8mn litres showed signs of deliberate delay, with estimated damages of around B380 million. A further 662 truck trips with unspecified destinations, carrying 2.1mn litres, are still under investigation for suspected hoarding.

Pol Lt Gen Rutthapon said relevant agencies will file charges of “delaying distribution” under Section 30 of the Prices of Goods and Services Act BE 2542, carrying a maximum of seven years’ imprisonment and/or fine of up to B140,000.

Charges of non-compliant transport documentation under Section 30 of the Fuel Trade Act BE 2543, carrying up to one year in prison and/or fine of up to B100,000 will also be pursued.

Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has ordered that all those involved be prosecuted without exception.

Pol Gen Thatchai said national reserves stood at nearly 600mn litres at the start of March but daily distribution fell to just 24% of the normal 48mn-litre average during the Mar 20-25 crisis period, and lower still on some days. One trader with reserves exceeding 13mn litres cut distribution by 64% compared with normal levels.

DSI director-general Pol Lt Col Yutthana said the agency is pursuing four cases: fuel hoarding in Surat Thani; fuel adulteration in Ang Thong; irregularities in maritime transport from the eastern region to the South; and searches of seven fuel-related premises.

Charges in the Surat Thani case were expected within 10 days, following unusually high gasohol 95 sales of 2.16mn litres, well above the prior month, during a period when prices rose six times, a combined B11.50 per litre.

In the Ang Thong case, investigators traced financial flows exceeding B3 billion and identified outside individuals, not registered directors, as the true beneficiaries, with some directors believed to be nominees. Among 99 maritime transport trips examined, 166 regulatory violations were found, including missing destination details and transporter information.

The energy minister said the ministry had filed a complaint as an injured party over violations of Energy Business Department transport regulations. It had previously referred 166 cases involving maritime transport to the DSI. Police have since identified a further 662 cases involving fuel depots and land transport.

The ministry intends to seek damages from those who hoarded or delayed fuel sales, to replenish the national oil fund, as government subsidies intended to reduce prices for the public had instead become excess profits for some private operators.

The DSI director-general also said Department of Energy Business officials will file complaints against six domestic refineries.

A task force has been established that includes the Anti-Money Laundering Office, even though no money laundering offence has yet been established. Should one be confirmed, asset seizure will follow immediately, he said. No politicians have been found to be involved.