Kata Rocks
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Facial recognition leads to fake-passport arrest

A foreigner carrying a fake Malaysian passport was arrested with $500,000 (B15.9 million) at Suvarnabhumi airport on Friday morning (May 24) in the first passport-fraud arrest based on biometric facial recognition.

immigrationtourismcrime
By Bangkok Post

Saturday 25 May 2019, 09:49AM

The Asian man carrying a Malaysian passport under the name of Oh chee boon went to the airport immigration checkpoint to have his face scanned by the biometric facial recognition system at around 10.30am.

The device found his face did not match what was in the passport chip, said Pol Col Roengron Rimphadee, deputy commander of the Immigration Bureau’s division 2.

The man, 40, was about to board Philippine Airlines’ flight PR731 to the Philippines. He was taken for questioning.

Pol Col Roengron said the man insisted he was the same person shown in the passport but his passport was found to be fake. Immigration officers also found $500,000 in his possession.

Records showed the man had entered the country via Thai-Malaysian checkpoints on several occasions using this passport.

QSI International School Phuket

Authorities initially charged him with holding a counterfeit passport with fake visa stamps. The investigation would be extended to find other people involved in the passport fraud.

The man was held in immigration police custody for legal action.

Read original story here.

Comments Left:
# Characters

Jor12 | 28 May 2019 - 16:41:05

Another comment that merely reinforces the voracity of my claim.

Rorri_2 | 28 May 2019 - 08:47:29

"rest assured J" I'm not sure who "J" is but your own comment certainly reflects what most think about your comments.

Jor12 | 27 May 2019 - 15:41:11

rest assured J, I recall another poster saying there was "sensible, intelligent, relevant comment" on here. Further proof it certainly is not on here.

Kurt | 27 May 2019 - 12:17:00

Amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand.  We all know that by experience.

Is it not amazing that the arrested man in this article could cross many times the Malaysian-Thai borders checkpoints with fake thai visa stamps?

GerryT81 | 26 May 2019 - 19:54:49

"Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was wrong...."What an amazing story.Truly one of the most exciting I ever read on here.Hopefully in the near future we can read more personal anecdotes from his fascinating life.

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 11:08:37

About 'fake' visa stamps: A few years ago I was departing SuvarnaBhumi with a international flight. Immigration told me that my multiple re-entry visa was 'wrong'. I told him to call a superior. That person asked me to proof that this visa was real! Hey, hello Immigration, that is your job! But, I showed the blue-green visa recu's from Phuket Immigration. Than I could proceed. ...

Kurt | 25 May 2019 - 10:49:29

The money amount on the evidence table looks more about $ 50,000.  Where is the 'rest' of the money?  Were the fake visa stamps not noticed by thai immigration officers during his previous border check points crossings? What is wrong with Immigration? This is about 'national security', remember?  :-)

Chinese men use fake taxi ploy to kidnap, rob Chinese woman in Phuket

"damage to the image of... taxi drivers" 555, that's a good one. If it were a real Tha...(Read More)

Tourism still wounded one year on from Phoenix disaster

Last week I had my monthly haircut for 150 thb. In next chair was a chinese tourist getting same hai...(Read More)

Tourism still wounded one year on from Phoenix disaster

Thai are good in marketing themselves, but many times bad in not delivering what they state/preach. ...(Read More)

Tourism still wounded one year on from Phoenix disaster

Despite all the discussion of what Thailand has done to make themselves look better to the Chinese.....(Read More)

Phuket light-rail budget B34.8bn for Phase 1 only, expected to jump 10%

Ben, they never bring in foreign experts to help with any major projects because it would make it mu...(Read More)

‘I only shot him to stop the attack’, says Patong tuk-tuk driver

Oh, so this Chartchai was just being a good citizen trying to protect tourists from this bad guy??? ...(Read More)

‘I only shot him to stop the attack’, says Patong tuk-tuk driver

‘the fight started because Panya has been cautioned over trying to trick and steal tourists’ be...(Read More)

Surf danger warning issued for Phuket

No need for having "ISLA'.There is already that expert pendejo.Just keep publishing his adv...(Read More)

Patong tuk-tuk drivers attack, kill motorbike taxi tout

What on earth is going on?! The guy's just sitting there smiling at the camera? Perfectly happy ...(Read More)

Patong tuk-tuk drivers attack, kill motorbike taxi tout

Ah yes - only recently the head of the taxi clubs was complaining about new taxes driving away touri...(Read More)