A team of engineers from Patong Municipality inspected the pillars last Friday and again yesterday, Patong Mayor Chalermluk Kebsup told The Phuket News.
“Jungceylon management requested us to inspect the repairs to the damaged area to see if Patong Municipality had any recommendations or additional works to carry out,” she said.
“On July 15, we learned that the damaged columns had been fixed. The only thing (that still) needed to be done was for the outside of the columns to be covered with plaster and decorated.
“Our engineers also checked the rest of the columns for damage,” she added.
An engineer from Patong Municipality, who asked not to be named, confirmed the repairs were nearly complete.
“The work on damaged columns is more than 90 per cent complete and the area is safe. All the other columns were inspected for safety,” he said.
“We are waiting for a next meeting next Tuesday (July 26) for the conclusion of the inspection and the decision as to whether the area is safe for public use.”
Slilla Svetsreni, Senior Public Relations Manager at Jungceylon, said her team was confident the repairs at the mall’s Port Zone will be ratified and approved in time for the closed section to re-open on Wednesday.
“All we need to do is present the structural reports showing that the repairs have been properly carried out and receive permission from provincial officials at the meeting on Tuesday,” she said.