The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Sam Kong underpass 'hoped to be ready by Songkran', despite millions in pending fines

Sam Kong underpass 'hoped to be ready by Songkran', despite millions in pending fines

PHUKET: The contractors of the Sam Kong underpass have admitted that they will not make their January 22 deadline, despite facing B2 million a day in fines after that.

transportconstruction
By Suthicha Sirirat

Thursday 14 January 2016 10:57 AM


The news follows the contractor Viwat Construction Co Ltd, previously assuring that it would finish by February after it was given an extension untill January 22 (story here)

Project Engineer, Chalermpol Wongkiattikun, from the Department of Highways told The Phuket News today (Jan 14) that the construction company will be fined at a rate of 2 million baht per day after January 22, when the contract (extension) expires.

Initially, the company was given 720 days to complete the underpass project, which should have seen the underpass operational in June of last year, but due to various excuses and delays, the company finally got their extension, without fine, untill January 22, 2016. 

"I don't think they will be finished everything on the due date but they are working on it. Right now the underpass project is only 60 per cent completion and they are 40 per cent behind schedule," Chalermpol said. 

All construction includes installing the drains along the section of road in front of Index Living Malls being carried out by Wiwat Construction Co.Ltd and the total costs for this project is about B834 million, he added. 

Phuket Highways Office Director Samak Lueduanghad hope that the tunnel will see the light soon and open then the roads above and surrounding area to be cleaned up by April 2016. 

If they manage to complete by Songkran – the Thai New Year holiday from April 13-15 – then the company would face fines of up to B150 million baht, about a fifth of the initial project value.