“Portuguese man o’ war were found on the sand along Patong beach on Friday (July 15),” Phuket Lifeguard Club Chief Prathaiyuth Chuayuan told The Phuket News today (July 18)
“We are keeping an eye on the situation and I have urged lifeguards to be prepared if anyone, especially tourists, are stung by them. Lifeguards are to be ready for any such instances, and ready to provide first aid and arrange emergency transport to hospital if needed,” he said.
“Although we have yet to receive any reports of anyone being stung, please be careful when visiting the beach,” he added.
The warning follows lifeguards reporting that Portuguese man o’ war had washed ashore at Surin Beach, north of Patong, last Wednesday (July 13). (See story here).
The tentacles of the Portuguese man o’ war contain venom, and should not be touched as the venom can cause severe pain, sometimes worse if the person stung has an allergic reaction to it, lifeguards warned.