Classifieds 50% off, use promo code FBkpkPromo The Phuket News Kata Rocks The Phuket News Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
The Phuket News Phuket News
The Phuket News Phuket | Thailand | World | Business | Q&A | Weird World XML, RSS, Feed
The Phuket News The Phuket News
The Phuket News

Police drunk-driving crash lands six in hospital, sparks outrage

PHUKET: An off-duty police officer reeking of alcohol leaving six people injured after his pickup truck crossed Phetkasem Rd and crashed into them – before the officer fled the scene – last night (Sept 9) has outraged local residents in Phang Nga Town.

police, alcohol, accidents,

Eakkapop Thongtub

Saturday 10 September 2016, 02:19PM

Phang Nga Police last night had to stave off local residents angry after a police officer reeking of alcohol slammed into two motorbikes and a car - leaving six people injured - then fleeing the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

More than 30 residents gathered at Phang Nga Muang District Police Station last night, calling for police to test the officer for alcohol and ensure justice is served in conducting their investigation.

Phanom Munthathung, 21, who was one the people knocked down by the policeman’s pickup truck, filed a formal complaint, which was received by Phang Nga Town Police Deputy Chief Lt Col Janepob Buthkinaree.

“I was driving my motorbike, bringing my mother from Phang Nga Town market back to our home in Tak Daet District, at about 9pm,” Mr Phanom said.

A friend of Mr Phanom’s family, Anit Saiburi, was travelling with them, with his two daughters on another motorbike, he added.

“While driving past the Provincial Water Authority on Phetkasem Rd, a pickup truck came across the road and hit both motorbikes,” he said.

The pickup also hit a car, driven by Nisara Chamason, 34, who was driving home to Nop Pring District.

The pickup truck, with Phang Nga licence plates, then fled the scene.

As he and his mother were not seriously injured, Mr Phanom picked up his motorbike and gave pursuit.

“I followed the pickup back to Phang Nga Town market, and I called out for people there to help stop the driver from getting away,” Mr Phanom said.

However, the pickup continued until it reached the temple grounds of Wat Mongkol Sutthawas, where the driver finally stopped.

People at temple, gathered there for a funeral, reportedly were initially scared of the pickup truck driver, who then revealed he was an officer with the Phang Nga Police.

The attendees at the funeral reported that the driver stank of alcohol.

Other police soon arrived and took the officer into custody, but refused to reveal any details about the officer, who they transported to Phang Nga Muang District Police Station.

“Three people suffered minor injuries in the incident,” said Pol Lt Dusit Phongphan, an inspector with the Phang Nga Muang District Police.

“However, doctors are taking care of another three at Phang Nga Hospital,” he added.

“The driver of the pickup truck has taken to Phang Nga Hospital to be tested for alcohol,” Lt Dusit, but did not reveal the name of the officer, his rank or at which police station the officer serves.

“This case is still under investigation,” was all Lt Dusit would offer.

Police have yet to reveal the names and ages of the three still receiving treatment in hospital for their injuries from the drunk-driving accident, or the extent of the injuries.

Of chief concern, Phang Nga Police have yet to reveal whether either of Mr Anit’s two daughters remain in hospital, and which injuries they have suffered.

Location

Forget your password?

Christy Sweet | 15 September 2016 - 08:56:11

Joe 12, Your attitude denying others their opinions is insufferable. Not only that, you're either a poor reader or deliberately change  the meaning of other's comments to bolster your own arguments, such as in your example just given. Kurt is asking a question, you are claiming  it's a statement. Regardless, it is his, mine and just about everyone else's opinion except yours that the police force is generally corrupted and is likely the basis for all this nation's ills.
 Take a poll and I think you'll be the only one who doesn't agree.

At this point I believe you are obtuse and enjoy the ridicule your constant retorts invite. Trolling is the term.

Joe12 | 13 September 2016 - 20:23:23

Christy... Pauly44 ... People can say what they like. I reserve the right to correct them. Mostly it's pitiful garbage. There is no opinion whatsoever! And who might you be to tell me what I can or cannot do?
Example: (Kurt)... "Is that because police officers own the bars and have nominees or share holders" That's a defamatory statement and based on unsubstantiated nonsense not an opinion.

Pauly44 | 13 September 2016 - 13:09:47

Joe 12, comments here are opinions, which may differ from yours and cannot be corrected BY YOU & vice versa, they are people's views? If you have lived here long enough you should be able to comprehend why many posts have a negative tendency as the general society is rather dysfunctional on many levels, traffic/driving habits, crime, corruption and so on...Do you not acknowledge this at all?? If not I guess you're turning a blind eye to it for a reason...

Christy Sweet | 12 September 2016 - 20:07:50

Respect has to be earned, and  I've got ZILCHO of it for this nation's populace and especially its governance- particularly the police. That's my derogatory opinion based on my own observations and experiences.  Don't like it? Tough.

Joe12 | 12 September 2016 - 14:02:09

Sir Burr...I only respond when posts are disrespectful to Thai's and the Thai nation; when they contain innuendo; are defamatory; are derogatory or when they are plain wrong, so yes, I agree there is no moderation. People can say what they like. I reserve the right to correct them and as I have said before, if you don't like it, then tough. You want me stop so comments from idiots can continue unabated? Well guess what...tough.

I enjoy reading well presented, factual, reasoned argument and have commented with praise, much to the consternation of the commentator. Mostly it's pitiful garbage. For example idiots cannot understand how to find the distance between two points on the globe, or continue to argue that a particular law that is not illegal, or present conspiracy theories and Kurt trying to tell me he doesn't react anymore, again not correct.

Rorii...again I pose the same question which you haven't answered, "What's so special about Thai Police offending?" or any other professional or politician for that matter. How they are "...prosecuted/charged/sentenced" is criticism of the judiciary, which again is wrong.

Kurt | 12 September 2016 - 11:25:09

Khun swerv, I also lived here for a long time and I love it too.
Comments are not 'negativily against Phuket', but about the bad things on Phuket.
So actually PRO Phuket. In the hope it tickles.
And yes, that includes sometimes critics on passive thai officials ( there are no foreign government officials on Phuket) who just go to Orbor Tor's in the morning, sit there on their hands ( not literally, but figuratively) the whole day and 'wait' for citizens reports ( in hope they not come).

Throughout the years I have been in several Orbor Tor's to talk about illegal rubbish burning, illegal rubbish dumping, about blocked road drains.
Their reaction is avoiding to become pro active in order to tackle the problem.

One time ( visit about a blocked public road water drain pipe near my house)I  was asked to fill out a complain form. (Not a report form) about it, most important was my personalia, including names of my parents.
Water drain pipe cleaning took 3 months, after several Orbor Tor visits!
Do you get the picture?

In what you call 'bloody Singapore' is just 1 phone call to the environment executive department enough. Job done at same day.

It is astonishing to see at Orbor Tor's  so many people sitting ( on their hands) behind a empty desk and do nothing, just waiting for lunch time, and in afternoon waiting for time to go home.
Passiveness all around.

Phuket, the island we love, deserves better!

swerv | 12 September 2016 - 09:57:47

Sir Burr: I don't know why you and some others think that Joe12 and i are the same just because we don't like the negativity against Phuket, Thailand and the Thai people? We have distinctly different writing skills, mine tends to be fairly basic whilst Joe12 is more eloquent.
Whist there are some people, namely Kurt who keeps writing such nonfactual rubbish i will keep responding.
I don't like how each post denigrates into the knocking of Thai officials, Phuket and Thai people. I have lived here for a long time and love it. Sure there is room for improvement as there is in any country, Phuket is not perfect it is Phuket and not bloody Singapore.

Kurt | 12 September 2016 - 09:38:42

To Sir Burr:  As you probably red all my comments (by the way, I write my own comments and that Joe12 just react on me, Yes?), a few days ago I initiated a Gordon Sanitaire. (I ignore him)
Since than I not even read Joe12's critics anymore, and not react either.

Sir Burr | 12 September 2016 - 08:55:57

To Kurt & Joe12 (swerv). I see yet again it's the Kurt and Joe12 show. At first, it was amusing. Now, it's a total bore as it is on every single thread. Both of you are spoiling the comments section for other readers. There doesn't seem to be much moderation on this site, which is a good thing, so, I'm asking you to stop. Get a room together, or, even meet up and settle your differences like men. Just please spare the rest of this site's readers your childish oneupmanship game.

samantha | 12 September 2016 - 00:38:45

The bad police are a disgrace to Thailand. Time for the Government to pull its finger out and clean up the bad police.

1 law for the police and another for the public.

Good to see the community standing up to the police at the police station.

The Phuket News
Page: First | 1 | 2 | Last Matches 17 result(s)
The Phuket News The Phuket News The Phuket News