Classifieds 50% off, use promo code FBkpkPromo The Phuket News Kata Rocks The Phuket News Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
The Phuket News Phuket News
The Phuket News Phuket | Thailand | World | Business | Q&A | Weird World XML, RSS, Feed
The Phuket News The Phuket News

Phuket truck owner donates B20k towards Sophie Anderson’s funeral

PHUKET: The owner of the 18-wheel truck which crushed Sophie Emma Rose Anderson on May 8 has today (May 19) given her family B20,000 in contribution to funeral arrangements.

accidents, death, crime, police, transport,

Friday 19 May 2017, 05:22PM

Mr Suwan Maad Adan makes his donation to the family. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot
Mr Suwan Maad Adan makes his donation to the family. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

Mr Suwan Maad Adan was at Thalang Police station at 2.30pm to hand over the B20,000, which was received on behalf of Ms Anderson’s family by her ex-husband and father of her five-year-old son.

“I wanted to give this money because I feel very sorry for what happened. I feel very sorry for her child, and I feel sorry for her. I wish it had never happened,” Mr Suwan told The Phuket News,” Mr Suwan said.

“My truck insurance representative is working on getting the compensation payment now. But this B20,000 is from me, to Sophie’s family, for her funeral,” he added.

Ms Anderson’s ex-husband, named only as ‘John’, was also at Thalang Police Station in the afternoon, along with a Tourist Police officer, to provide additional background information about Ms Anderson in the ongoing investigation.

Lt Col Sanit of the Thalang Police said, “We still need to gather more information about the case before handing it over to the court. Although police have charged both drivers, the final decision is still up to court.”

Chief of the Thalang Police, Col Sompong Thipapakul, added, “The investigation is still ongoing. But the compensation money, which comes later, will go in part to Sophie’s five-year-old son.”

According to police, Ms Anderson’s body is being held at Thalang Hospital until the investigation is closed. The location of her funeral services have yet to be confirmed.

Forget your password?

Pauly44 | 29 May 2017 - 12:36:56

Jor 12; You are grossly over analyzing my comment, I very simply said Thai's flee accident scenes on a regular basis as I have read it many many times over in the news, nothing to do with race, religion or culture, purely an observation. Cultural norms have no bearing on right or wrong no matter how you spin it, a "cultural norm" for me would be to make sure the other person was ok and wait at the scene!

Rorri | 29 May 2017 - 12:27:41

Jor12, not me being presumptuous,  my wife doesn't think a thai would say such stupid things, personally I don't care where you come from, once a tingtong always a tingtong.

Jor12 | 29 May 2017 - 00:16:20

Rorri...lol...I don't really care what you or your wife says. Rather presumptuous saying I am a "farang" when you don't even know me.

Paully44...never said you were insisting on anything, merely pointing out how pertinent your retort was in my description. You further comment "of what actually happens on a regular basis" further reinforces what I said about cultural norms, which is something that you neo colonialists have little or no understanding.

Pauly44 | 25 May 2017 - 12:50:29

Jor 12; I'm not insisting on anything, my comment is based on the reality of what actually happens on a regular basis, your comment is hyper hypocritical as that is what you do routinely i.e insist your belief is correct over others, looked in the mirror lately?

Rorri | 25 May 2017 - 12:40:09

Jos12, aka mr know it all, my wife, thai, agrees with pauly 44, and guess whtat she called you.... ting tong farang, guess you don't  really understand thais.

Jor12 | 25 May 2017 - 11:39:42

Paully44...your retort graphically demonstrates what I was talking about..."the westerner who is likely to insist on the correctness of one belief over another."

swerv | 21 May 2017 - 15:04:59

Jor12: I agree with what you are saying. Too many times certain commentators have remarked on how small a fine/compensation is without taking into account monthly earnings here in relation to past/present earnings of the so called commentators. If the fine was the equivalent of 2 months salary in their own country they would be squealing like pigs at such an outrageous amount.

Pauly44 | 21 May 2017 - 13:42:10

Jor 12; not sure the friends and family of the deceased would consider it the way you describe! It is surprising though, usually they leg it into the bush or deflect all responsibility.

Jor12 | 21 May 2017 - 11:34:16

It's an act of attrition, a concept which is lacking in Western thought. It's a more civilised, respectful way handling the matter.

Asians tend to emphasize relationships rather than categories and are less likely to use formal logic to understand events ($600 may not be sufficient compensation to the westerner). When confronted with contradictions it's better to look for a middle way rather the westerner who is likely to insist on the correctness of one belief over another. In this case the $600 is regarded as insufficient by comentators - or lock him up and throw away the key.

Eagle | 21 May 2017 - 09:27:08

@Samhayman,yes it is generous,as he is only the owner of the truck and not the driver!

The Phuket News
Page: First | 1 | 2 | Last Matches 12 result(s)
The Phuket News The Phuket News The Phuket News