The power cables caught at 10am. Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived soon after and took 30 minutes to put the fire out.
“The fire damaged the pylon and several electrical and communications cables. The area where the fire started was very close to high-voltage power lines,” one worker said
“We contacted the PPEA to investigate the incident and they theorise that a high-voltage power line broke and came into contact with the electrical and communication cables below, which caused a spark and the fire. All the cables being wet from the rain may have been a factor,” he added.
Rescue workers were called to put another electrical cable fire early yesterday, in front of a tyre store on the bypass road.
“That fire broke out at about 1am. We also responded to that fire, which took us more than 30 minutes to put out,” the rescue worker said.