Mr Pongchat Chuahom, Chief of the Nature and Wildlife Education Centre at the Khao Phra Thaew None-Hunting Area in Thalang told The Phuket News yesterday, “Today we were notified that a wild macaque that received an electric shock on Nov 5 died at 1am this morning. Doctors confirmed that the death was caused by injuries the animal sustained to its internal organs after receiving an electric shock.
“Officials were sent to pick up the body of the macaque so it could be buried..”
On Nov 5, Mr Pongchat was notified that a wild macaque had received an electric shock whilst it was in the Mudong canal in Wichit. Following the incident the animal was taken to a veterinary clinic in Srisoonthorn.
“On Nov 7 we were told that the macaque was recovering, its wounds were said to be healing and it had no infections. The veterinarian and nurses were monitoring the animal closely as it was said to be very week.
“However, sadly six days after getting the shock the animal died,” he said.