The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Phuket defence volunteer to face assault charge, for now

Phuket defence volunteer to face assault charge, for now

PHUKET: The Kathu territorial defence volunteer who attacked a Kuwaiti tourist last week is to face trial for assault. However, it is not yet known whether he will face an additional charge for carrying a gun in public without permission.

crimeviolence
By Saroj Kueprasertkij

Tuesday 15 September 2015 08:42 AM


38-year-old Amnard Choodet was arrested on Sept 9 for assaulting a Kuwaiti tourist.

38-year-old Amnard Choodet was arrested on Sept 9 for assaulting a Kuwaiti tourist.

Deputy Superintendent of Kathu police station Col Akanit Danpitaksan yesterday (Sept 14) told The Phuket News 38-year-old Amnard Choodet, 38, who attacked Mr Fahad Al Mutariy 57 on September 9 (see story here) has already been charged with personal assault and that a decision on whether to charge him with carrying a gun in public without permission will be reached soon.

“It does not matter if he is a volunteer or an ordinary person. If his action is against the law we have to charge him as usual.

“With regards to the gun charge, we have to investigate this case further. It will take about a month,” Col Akanit confirmed.

The penalty for personal assault is two years imprisonment and/or a B2,000 fine, whilst the penalty for carrying a gun in public without permission is 5 years imprisonment and/or a B100,000 fine.

Meanwhile, Kathu inspector, Maj Col Theerasak Boonsangt added that had tried to negotiate with Mr Fahad before taking the case to court.

“He did not suffer any major injury and was released from the hospital the same day. He has carried on with his trip around Thailand and is currently in Chiang Mai.

“He is very angry about the incident but does not care about receiving any compensation. He just wants justice from the courts,” Col Theerasak said.