The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Phuket beach mayor falls silent on demolitions

Phuket beach mayor falls silent on demolitions

PHUKET: MaAnn Samran, chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), this morning was a man of few answers as the New Year’s Day deadline for demolition of beachfront businesses at Surin Beach lurks ever closer.


By The Phuket News

Monday 7 December 2015 03:04 PM


Ma-Ann Samran, chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), this morning had no answers about the impending beachfront business demolitions at Surin Beach. Photo: The Phuket News

Ma-Ann Samran, chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor), this morning had no answers about the impending beachfront business demolitions at Surin Beach. Photo: The Phuket News

With little more than three weeks to go until the military-backed demolition is slated to begin, Mr MaAnn today (Dec 7) could not even confirm which businesses would be demolished, or when – despite Cherng Talay OrBorTor reportedly owning 20 of the buildings to be demolished.

The New Year’s demolition was announced by Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Armornwat, citing that a total of 36 businesses were targeted for demolition, at a meeting on Tuesday (Dec 1). (See story here.)

Yet Mr MaAnn today told The Phuket News, “I cannot confirm any details yet. I have to wait until my next meeting with V/Gov Chokdee. I cannot say anything more.”

Mr MaAnn did confirm that a B10-million duty law suit against him by beachfront vendors had been dismissed by the court.

However, he declined to name those who filed the suit against him, or specify why he was accused of failing in his duties as Cherng Talay OrBorTor chief.

“Yes, the case has been dropped,” he said, but declined to elaborate further.

Meanwhile, Mr MaAnn did confirm that he would remain in office for the foreseeable future.

“I will stay in this position until the next (OrBorTor) election is held, but from then on I will return to focus on my own business interests.” he said.

Mr MaAnn declined to reveal which businesses he owns or is actively involved in.