The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


They tried to kill me, says MMA fighter Junie

They tried to kill me, says MMA fighter Junie

PHUKET: American mixed martial arts fighter Junie Allen Browning, 26, accused of hurting five people during a brawl at a Karon bar, turned up at Chalong police station yesterday (December 21) to defend himself and give his side of the story.

Thursday 22 December 2011 12:35 PM


Junie Browning shows the stitches on his arm from the knife wound.

Junie Browning shows the stitches on his arm from the knife wound.

He explained that he had delayed his appearance – it was 10 days after the brawl before he came to the police station – because he had received threats and feared for his safety.

Mr Browning, who fights cage matches under the name The Lunatik, filed a complaint with police alleging that his opponents had attempted to murder him. He also reported that two diamond earrings went missing during the melée.

His opponents in the Battle of the Native Bar previously filed complaints that he started the fight, hitting management and customers of the bar, on Patak Road in Karon, resulted in five of them being sent to Patong Hospital.

Browning, it was alleged, hit five people: bar owner Sukanya Srisomboon, bar manager Simon Menzies, 32, Mary Jane Castro, 32, Josh Smith, 68, and Essameldeen Younis.

They also alleged that he started fighting again in the hospital. And Ms Sukanya filed a complaint about damage caused to the bar.

Ms Sukanya alleged that Mr Browning also injured some of a group of Thai bystanders who also somehow got into the fight. Police later said these bystanders were local tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

Browning, who was beaten unconscious and stabbed during the fight, countered last night by insisting that he and his girlfriend, Laura Nissley, were the victims in the brawl, which was started by the others.

He showed up at the police station with stitches in his head, which he said were the result of by someone smashing a bottle and a beer mug on his head.

More stitches on his arm showed where he had been stabbed with a knife.

Mr Browning reported that in addition to being stabbed and bottled, he was kicked and punched by mobs of people, and was stabbed by a knife.

He said he had no idea why the fight had started. “Personally, I thought it’s gonna be one-on-one fight [with Mr Menzies],” he said. “If that had happened we’d have had a fight, got bruised. That was not a problem until there were weapons and bottles. At that point, it wasn’t a fight. It’s trying to stay alive.”

Mr Browning claimed he received CPR twice while he was being transported to Patong Hospital.

Mr Browning told The Phuket News that he and Ms Nissley had fled the hospital in fear for their lives after receiving several phone calls telling them local “mafia” had set a price on his head.

Then ran away to Krabi, where they received another threatening call demanding payment of B300,000 if they both wanted to live. They moved again, Haad Yai.

There, they contacted a friend in Bangkok. “We needed to find people we could really trust,” said Ms Nissley. Through this friend they contacted the US Embassy and were advised to meet police in Phuket.

We have to be here to tell the truth,” said Ms Nissley. “The Junie that you have seen on the [Ultimate Fighter] reality show is a created character for publicity. If you know him, he is not like that.”

Ms Nissley said that after he was arrested for assaulting three nurses at a hospital in Nevada after an unsuccessful suicide attempt, Mr Browning had attempted to clean himself and to rebuild his reputation in Phuket before he returning to the ring.

In negotiations at Chalong Police Station, it was clear that neither side actually wants to go into a criminal court, and Pol Capt Chianchai Duangsuwan tried to find a compromise between the two sides.

None was reached. The bar owner and her friends want compensation for damage to the bar and for medical treatment.

Mr Browning wants compensation for hospital costs. He also explained that he was due to fight a professional bout in the US next month, but because of his injuries he had been advised not to train for another six months, so he wants compensation for loss of income.

He also wanted to counter parts of the stories emerging from the battle that claimed he had hit women.

No fight organisation will hire me if they heard about that,” he said.