Tha Chatchai Police Capt Thanom Thongpan was notified by a local resident at 10pm yesterday that a fire had broken out at some homes located near the mangrove forest in Soi Bangdook, Baan Makprok in Mai Khao.
Police, officials from the Mai Khao Tambon Administration Office (OrBorTor) and Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived at location with five fire trucks to find a row of homes completely consumed by fire.
Capt Thanom explained, “The fire started and spread rapidly. Some homes were completely gutted. Fire officials had a hard time controlling the fire because the area is pretty narrow and difficult to get to. In addition, each of the gutted homes was built from combustible materials.
“It took officials more than two hours to put the fire out and five homes have been completely destroyed. Luckily there were no reports of death or injury,” he said.
“Witnesses reported that the fire started when a lit candle in the bedroom of one home fell onto the bed. Residents attempted to put it out but the fire soon got out of control.
“We are investigating this incident and forensic police are examining the area. Hopefully we will be able to tell what really caused the fire,” Capt Thanom added.