Allow us to build homes for Phuket police says Phuket Police Maj Gen Choti
PHUKET: There are still no plans to provide accommodation for police in Kathu, Thungtong and Thalang despite the 2010 specifically set-aside budget of B68 million baht, Pol Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police told The Phuket News on February 8.
Saturday 9 February 2013, 02:38PM
When the third and final deadline for the PCC Development and Construction Co to complete the construction expries in March, 2013 it will not be extended, Gen Choti added.
He has suggested that if the Phuket Provincial Police could find and award the contract to a local company as opposed to a single national one, it would be much more convenient.
“Some Phuket police still have to pay for their own accommodation at around B4,000 per month at least. If we can find local contractors, it would be much easier,” Gen Choti said.
It is Gen Choti’s belief that if the Phuket Provincial Police were allowed to organise the building of the three police flats by holding local auctions, unlike the Royal Thai Police who were originally responsible for the whole country, then it would be completed much quicker.
Former Deputy Prime Minister, Suthep Tuagsuban, who was in charge of the Royal Thai Police during the approval of the project’s plans, and is now a current MP, told Bangkok press last week that complications began just four months after the project was approved in late 2010.
He said that the 2010 dissolution of parliament meant that the responsibility of the project was passed over to the new chief of the Royal Thai Police and the new cabinet.
He also once again denied allegations that were initially levelled by Phua Thai spokesman MP Prompong Nopparit and DSI director Tharit Pengdit that he had favoured the PCC Co as contractor because he had personal ties with them.
He added that he believes that that allegations of bid collusion were politically-motivated to discredit him and former Prime Minister MP Abhisit Vejjajiva.