The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search


Work on Phuket’s B800mn Surin Beach park to start next month

Work on Phuket’s B800mn Surin Beach park to start next month

PHUKET: Work on the new Rajabhakti Park to be built at Surin Beach will start in October, with a total budgeted cost of the project slated to reach B800 million, Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat confirmed today (Sept 20).

tourismconstructioneconomicsmarinelandproperty
By The Phuket News

Tuesday 20 September 2016 01:57 PM


 

“The total cost of construction of Rajabhakti Park will be more than B800 million,” V/Gov Chokdee told The Phuket News.

“The project was proposed to Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday (Sept 16). Next, we will submit the proposal to Cabinet for approval,” he said.

Meanwhile, parts of the project will go ahead next month, V/Gov Chokdee confirmed.

“All the plans were finalised two weeks ago. Three phases will start in October, with the construction of a fence, a parking lot with a small garden and breakwater to begin,” he said.

The initial three projects will be carried out by three different local authorities, V/Gov Chokdee explained.

“The fence will be built by the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) with a budget of B8 million, the parking lot with a small garden will be built by the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO) with a budget of B17million, and the breakwater will be built by the Phuket office of the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning with a budget of B38 million,” he said.

“The entire area that will be turned into a public park covers nearly 200 rai,” V/Gov Chokdee told The Phuket News.

“At least 50 rai will be transformed into a botanical garden and the rest will include a museum, monuments and other attractions,” he said.

The monuments are to comprise seven statues honouring past Thai kings from the Sukhothai period to the current royal house of Chakri, as featured at the original the Rajabhakti Park built at Hua Hin last year.

The finalised plans were unveiled at a meeting last Wednesday (Sept 14), V/Gov Chokdee explained.

“Surin Beach’s development into a park is in progress, including the acquisition of the budget and the final plans for the park to be developed into seven zones,” he said.

“We want this new park to be a place to honour Their Majesties The King and Queen because HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej and HM Queen Sirikit visited Surin Beach in 1959,” he said.

“The central government has set a policy to organise Phuket beaches under the plan ‘Phuket Beach Model’, so after the demolition of the structures along Surin Beach, we decided to preserve the area and develop it into a park.

“The park will become a centre of education for the public to learn more about Royal projects. The park will house a museum featuring historical photography of Royal family members during their visits to Phuket and also a learning centre for sailing, which is the favourite watersport of HM The King,” he said.

“This will be a new historical tourism attraction for Phuket which will become another tourism destination, a place to help generate income to the island” V/Gov Chokdee said.

V/Gov Chokdee said he was unable to confirm any scheduled completion date for the project. “I can’t confirm this until the construction contacts have been signed,” he said.

“There are a lot of different things to do involving several different offices in Phuket, as well as the private sector. This will take time,” he added.

V/Gov Chokdee declined to expand on any further details about the park.

“Let’s follow up later,” he said.