With a total population of 104 people, the Austrian village of F****** (use your imagination) is only 4 km from the German border. The biggest attraction at this place? The road signs, which were often stolen by tourists until 2005 when theft-resistant ones were made. The town held a vote to change their name back in 2004 but it was shot down. Siegfried Höppl , the town’s mayor at the time, said the name had existed for 800 years and, according to him: “everyone here knows what it means in English, but for us F****** is F****** – and it’s going to stay F******”.
Located in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Dildo is actually not far from Dilda Arm of Trinity Bay. While the origin of the word dildo is unclear, it was first used in the 18th century to describe phallic objects. Captain James Cook and his assistant, the men who mapped our Newfoundland in the 1760s, were known for their sense of humour when naming locations and could have given the place its name. Regardless, the residents of Dildo have shot down every name change that was proposed in the 20th century.
There’s actually two Looneyville’s in the United States, one each in Texas and West Virginia. In Texas, this farming community town was named after its founder, John Looney, in the 1870s. At its height in the 1890’s, the Texas town had a population of 100. In West Virginia, the town was named after Robert Looney after he settled there in 1844. This ranch community sits on a popular highway area and has very little tourists, according to statistics.
The name is a local evolution of the Latin word peninsula, but who cares – in English, few words can rival Peniscola’s ability to cover a town name, phallic object, and a beverage. The town, which has a population of just under 8,00 people, is located in the region of Valencia and was controlled by the Iberians, Pheonecians, and Cathaginians at some point in its history. Attractions include a castle built by the Knights Templar, a lighthouse, an annual comedy film festival, and the numerous seaside resorts.
Bell End, England
This village is situation in Worcestershire country and is located in western side of the England just a short drive from Wales. The town's name is the same is used as a derogatory remark in Britain. Still, Bell End is known for their Bell House – a Victorian Gothic mansion that was built in 1847. Much like its Austrian counterpart, Bell End's street signs were often stolen by tourists, though village officials have decided to remove all the signs to combat this.