Ms Chaiyanun Surin, 31, died en route to Koh Phang Ngan Hospital on Friday evening after her unconscious body was retrieved from the waters off the famous Full Moon Party beach.
In the rescue attempt, two Candians and one Thai were also stung and subsequently hospitalized, but now in safe condition.
The victim had travelled to Koh Phang Ngan with three of herr friends from Bangkok, with the plan to partake in the famous Full Moon Party on Friday night, which was also an auspicious Blue Moon.
Ms Chayanun and her friends had only arrived on Koh Phang Ngan for about five hours when the victim decided to go out for a swim off of Had Rin Beach at aproximately 7.40pm.
Soon after getting in the water, the victim called out to her friends for help realizing she was burning after being stung by something, which later was found out to be deadly box jellyfish.
Jellyfish, including non-lethal species and the deadly box jellyfish (Cubozoa), are more abundant in the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea during the rainy season (Southwesterly monsoon winds period) between May and October.
It is understood that Ms Chayanun had just resigned from her job at a famous hotel in Bangkok on July 28 before deciding to go to the famous party island with her friends.
The victim's mother and sister have already retrieved her body.
Many full moon party revellers based in Phuket will be returning to the island from Koh Phang Ngan today and tomorrow, and photos of the tragic and sombre scene are expected to be uploaded and circulated in Phuket social media circles.
Original story, in Thai here (Translated by The Phuket News)