The Phuket News Premier League predictions The Phuket News Kata Rocks The Phuket News Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
The Phuket News Thailand News
The Phuket News Phuket | Thailand | World | Business | Q&A | Weird World XML, RSS, Feed
The Phuket News The Phuket News
The Phuket News

Police to seek arrest warrants for 17 in arson, bombings

BANGKOK: Police plan to ask a military court to issue arrest warrants for 17 people, of whom 10 of are already in military custody, suspected of being involved in last week’s multiple arson and bomb attacks in seven provinces, a police source said yesterday (Aug 17).

crime, death, military, police, violence,


Bangkok Post

Thursday 18 August 2016, 09:08AM


Police inspect a fire-ravaged Taweeesin Plastic store in Surat Thani on Saturday (Aug 13) to find links to two blasts in the city. Police plan to issue arrest warrants for 17 more people in connection with last week’s arson and bombing incidents. Photo: Supapong Chaolan
Police inspect a fire-ravaged Taweeesin Plastic store in Surat Thani on Saturday (Aug 13) to find links to two blasts in the city. Police plan to issue arrest warrants for 17 more people in connection with last week’s arson and bombing incidents. Photo: Supapong Chaolan

The move came after Maj Gen Wijarn Jodtaeng, the legal chief of the National Council for Peace and Order, and Col Burin Thongprapai, a Judge Advocate-General’s Department officer, filed complaints against the 17 for operating a criminal association known as ang-yee. The charges relate to the attacks last week and were filed at the Crime Suppression Division on yesterday night. The petitions and other documents were presented as evidence.  

The 17 were charged with violating Section 210 of Criminal Code which deals with offences relating to public peace. Ten of them are being detained at the 41st Military Circle in Nakhon Si Thammarat province. They will be taken to the CSD tomorrow (Aug 19) to answer the charges. 

The source said CSD police expected to seek warrants for their arrests from the military court of the 11th Military Circle in Bangkok today (Aug 18).

More suspects have emerged after investigators found links between last week’s attacks and the May 26, 2013, bombing in Bangkok’s Ramkhamhaeng area, based on the methods of attack and assembly of the bombs. Four men were sentenced to 50 years jail in that incident. Insurgent elements in the South have also been linked to the attacks. 

They believe Ahama Leng-ha, a resident of Narathiwat’s Tak Bai district and a suspected separatist who is wanted in connection with several violent incidents in the deep South, was the person who assembled the bombs used in the new attacks. A DNA sample collected from the Phuket blast scene last Wednesday (Aug 10) matched that taken from Mr Ahama, for whom an arrest warrant has been issued.

His DNA samples were collected twice. Mr Ahama was detained previously in connection with the Tak Bai protest in 2004 and six years later he turned himself in to authorities in connection with an alleged violation of the emergency law.

Police officers were deployed to search Mr Ahama’s house yesterday morning.

His relatives told officers Mr Ahama left the house many years ago. He told them he was going to work in Malaysia, according to Col Patcharapol Na nakon, chief of Tak Bai police.

Relatives have been unable to reach him since then, Col Patcharapol said.

Meanwhile, A Chiang Mai man allegedly implicated in the fire at a Tesco Lotus superstore in Nakhon Sri Thammarat last week is expected to face fresh charges of arson and bomb possession.

The warrant for his arrest one of those being sought with the Military Court.

Sakarin Karuehas, 32, was arrested on Saturday on an offshore oil platform off Nakhon Sri Thammarat where he worked. He was charged with committing arson at the store. .

C and C Marine

The attack was one of 13 bombings and arsons, which killed four people and injured 35 others in seven provinces last Thursday (Aug 11) and Friday (Aug 12).

He is being held under an arrest warrant issued by the provincial court. His image was captured by closed-circuit surveillance cameras before the blaze began, a key piece of evidence that led to his being caught, police said.

Deputy national police chief Srivara Ransibramanakul said yesterday that the provincial court warrant would be withdrawn as an investigation by Explosive Ordnance Disposal officers had found explosive devices were involved in the attack.

Based on a National Council for Peace and Order directive, suspects in such offences must stand trial in the Military Court.

Gen Srivara, who leads the investigation into the case, said the new warrant against the suspect would be sought with the Military Circle 41 court based on counts on both arson and bomb possession.

The deputy police chief was speaking at Hua Hin police station, where he chaired a meeting to unravel the case yesterday.

Officers at the Military Circle 41, where Mr Sakarin was detained, took the suspect to Nakhon Sri Thammarat police headquarters for further questioning.

Gen Srivara said police have obtained solid evidence in connection with the bombings, which leads them to believe they have a greater than 50 per cent chance to apprehend more suspects.

Deputy police spokesman Piyapan Pingmuang said investigators have not found any link to political groups in the probe, but insisted they cannot be ruled out.

He said police are working with Malaysian authorities to check Malaysian SIM cards in the mobile phones used to detonate the bombs, adding that part of the probe is going well.

Progress of more than 70 per cent has been made in the investigation, Maj Gen Piyapan said.

Read original stories here and here.

 

 

The Phuket News
The Phuket News
Comment on this story
* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.
Comments Here:
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:
    Forget your password?

Be the first to comment.

The Phuket News
The Phuket News The Phuket News The Phuket News
The Phuket News
Share this
The Phuket News
Have a news tip-off? Click here
The Phuket News
Related stories
The Phuket News
Phuket community

Recent Comments


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

Could you help me and tell me what his face expression says about this person{the mayor}?!Is he a good or an evil person? Would a smiling face make h...(Read More)


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

Face expressions of people say a lot about people. Look at the photo, and think. In Rawai and Naiharn is a lot going on. Installed traffic lights, ...(Read More)


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

"... I have to wait for the Court of Appeal before issuing any orders to demolish any parts of the project, despite the initial court ruling...&q...(Read More)


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

and "Rawai Garden" soi Suksan 2... how they can have a permit to build 158 rooms in this quite location with a very narrow access!... ...(Read More)


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

Eva had 6 years in court to prove their innocence, which they did not. At great expense to the Thai taxpayer and waste of government resources. There ...(Read More)


Set Phuket croc ‘Leypang’ free, says poll

We may say that is croc Leypang is not the only croc in thai waters. Set it free in a habitat were he finds enough food, far from Phuket. Anyway he ...(Read More)


Cop in ‘great escape’ link

Oh, and don't forget, on 04 and 06 September General Prawit, the Defence Minister, told the thai press ( see PN articles on those days) that no po...(Read More)


Phuket’s Eva Beach appeal earns demolition reprieve, says Rawai Mayor

Just like Ao sane beach project. Why is the mayor and the Rawai Or Bor Tor planning department head not in jail. How many more building projects in Ra...(Read More)


Cop in ‘great escape’ link

It is funny to read in every newspaper the word 'Escape'. During the time of the travel of Ms Yingluck she was not under house arrest, there ...(Read More)


Phuket lifeguards to strike over budget cuts

Oh, the insanity of it all. At least there will be free wi-fi so when people drown we will see it up on Facebook just as it happens. I'm surpri...(Read More)

The Phuket News
Bangkok Hospital Phuket
PHUKET NEWS
Phuket
Thailand
World
Business
Q A
Weird World
ARCHIVE
POLL
CURRENCY
WEATHER
PHUKET TIDE TABLE
The Phuket News PHUKET LIFE
Phuket Arts
Phuket Community
Phuket Culture
Phuket Dining
Phuket Education
Phuket Entertainment
Phuket Environment
Phuket Health
Phuket People
Phuket Technology
Phuket Travel
World Entertainment
Photo Galleries
COLOURING BOOK
The Phuket News PHUKET SPORT
Phuket
Thailand
World
SURF REPORT
PREDICTIONS
The Phuket News PHUKET CLASSIFIEDS
Phuket Buy and Sell
Phuket Jobs
Phuket Property
Phuket Cars and Boats
Phuket Community
Phuket Services
SEARCH CLASSIFIEDS
POST CLASSIFIED
The Phuket News The Phuket News PHUKET EVENTS
Phuket Event listings
Phuket Event calendar
Buy Tickets
POST EVENT
The Phuket News PHUKET DIRECTORY
Phuket Bars, pubs and clubs
Phuket Hotels and villas
Phuket Restaurants
Phuket Yellow Pages
POST LISTING
The Phuket News BARGAINS
The Phuket News ABOUT US
The Company
Distribution points
Subscribe
Advertise with us
Pay for advert
Contact us
CONTESTS
Content Google Map
Site map
Australian Visa Services
 
Currency - The Phuket News   Weather Report - The Phuket News   Surf Report - The Phuket News
LinkedIn - The Phuket News   Twitter - The Phuket News   YouTube - The Phuket News   Facebook - The Phuket News
Copyright © 2017 Class Act Media. All rights reserved. | Website usage terms and conditions | Privacy and Confidentiality Statement.