The five were at the Ta Reua Shrine, near the Heroines Monument, and were given generous helpings from a large vat of red curry made with a certain type of reed known locally as Sorn or Or Dib.
Their tongues went numb, and their throats became itchy, then all threw up. They were rushed to Thalang hospital where a doctor gave them injections that countered the symptoms while hospital staff called the shrine to tell them not to feed the curry to anyone else.
The shrine, which had not served the curry to anyone else, just in case, promptly threw it away.
Mr Chalermchai Klong-ngam, the Village Head of Baan Ta Teua, said that someone had contributed some reeds to the shrine to cook and give out free to vegetarians. They were apparently the wrong type of reeds.
The five victims – a man and two women in their 50s, another woman aged 28 and a girl of 14 – have all recovered.