THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks
The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Warrants issued for deep south shooter suspects

Warrants issued for deep south shooter suspects

NARATHIWAT: Eight arrest warrants were issued yesterday (June 14) for suspects in the shooting deaths of four civilians in Narathiwat last week.

crimedeathmurderpolicemilitaryviolencepolitics
By Bangkok Post

Friday 15 June 2018, 09:05AM


Army and Isoc investigators seal off a house in tambon Tanohputeh of Yala’s Bannang Sata district where home invaders killed five men on Monday (June 11). Photo: Muhammad Ayub Pathan

Army and Isoc investigators seal off a house in tambon Tanohputeh of Yala’s Bannang Sata district where home invaders killed five men on Monday (June 11). Photo: Muhammad Ayub Pathan

Internal Security Operations Command’s (Isoc) Pramote Phrom-in said the manhunt began after forensic results indicated 18 spent 5.56mm cartridges retrieved from the shooting scene in Sukhirin district last week were discharged from five firearms, of which three were allegedly linked to nine previous attacks in the province going back to 2015.

The nine attacks left 16 – eight officials and eight civilians – dead and two officials injured in Sukhirin and Chanae districts.

Isoc’s move came after information was disseminated on social media claiming the government was the mastermind behind the Sukhirin district attack on June 7 as well as another shooting in Yala’s Bannang Sata district on Monday (June 11).

Five civilians were killed in Monday’s attack in Yala.

In the Yala shooting, spent 5.56mm cartridges were found at the scene.

They were fired from an HK33 assault rifle which was used in nine previous insurgent attacks in Yala in 2014, 2015 and 2017, leaving 14 dead, one of whom was a state official, and 12 officials from state agencies injured.

The slain official was Lt Col Adinan Isamaea, chief of Krong Pinang Police Station, who was shot dead on July 10, 2014.

In the Monday attack in Yala, an initial probe conducted by security authorities indicated the five civilians killed had no record of security-related offences.

Zest Real Estate

The officials were running checks on the dead civilians after they found two of them had been detained on drugs charges in 2014 and 2016.

According to local officials and accounts from the deceased’s families, the five civilians often gathered together to use methamphetamine (ya bah) and drank a cocktail mixed with krathom leaves, often consumed as a mild narcotic.

Col Pramote insisted the forensic evidence collected from the Sukhirin and the Yala crime scenes strongly indicated the attacks were orchestrated by insurgents.

He said the probes which are under way will be widened to track down the suspects involved in the cases in the two locations.

Narathiwat’s Sungai Kolok district on Tuesday (June 12) was de-listed from areas under the emergency decree.

Sungai Kolok district is the seventh district in the far South to be removed from the decree coverage.

It is the first Narathiwat district to be de-listed. Previously, four districts in Songkhla, Mae Lan district in Pattani and Betong district in Yala were taken off the list.

Read original story here.

Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.

CAPTCHA

Be the first to comment.

Have a news tip-off? Click here

 

Phuket community
Running Empty: Water officials to splash B277mn on private sources as reservoirs fail to fill

A lot of water contract talks ( including 30% arrangements?). However, that will not grand Phuket wa...(Read More)


Running Empty: Water officials to splash B277mn on private sources as reservoirs fail to fill

Bang Wad water reservoir is ready for making it a beginners drive for golf players. The grass just n...(Read More)


PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Second Phuket water crisis? ’Peace walk’ monk returns! Dangerously sweet! || July 12

No, not a second water crisis. Phuket still remains in it's 'first' water crisis, as not...(Read More)


Surin Beach’s temporary lifeguards on hold until further notice

This article shows plainly that as long Cherng Talay Tambon Administration not gets a good Chief/May...(Read More)


After Phuket student killed by electrocution, officials assure public park areas are safe

The PEA always insist that the neutral wire be earthed at the breaker, that way any leakage will tri...(Read More)


Student killed by electrocution in Phuket public park under investigation

Always willing to do stuff after the incident, maintenance, doing stuff to prevent problems! Go roun...(Read More)


Student killed by electrocution in Phuket public park under investigation

As an electrician you only have to look at the state of power poles with bare wires, electric boxes ...(Read More)


Surin Beach’s temporary lifeguards on hold until further notice

Wow...shocking level of irresponsibility by the OrBorTor. How can this even happen? Actually, irre...(Read More)


Running Empty: Water officials to splash B277mn on private sources as reservoirs fail to fill

No wonder: over population, human greed, not match care about the environment, deforesting, cut down...(Read More)


Running Empty: Water officials to splash B277mn on private sources as reservoirs fail to fill

As Timy asked the question many times without getting any official answer,wouldn't it be about t...(Read More)