THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

PHUKET: A 43-year-old British national is behind bars at Phuket Provincial Court after being charged by Chalong Police for animal cruelty after he was caught on CCTV attacking a dog with a metal rod in the early minutes of Tuesday morning (July 16).

Thursday 18 July 2019, 05:57PM

Mervyn Harding, a British expat living in Rawai, has been charged with animal cruelty and three forms trespass for attacking a dog near Phuket’s Nai Harn Beach. Photo: Chalong Police (blurred at police request)

Mervyn Harding, a British expat living in Rawai, has been charged with animal cruelty and three forms trespass, including trespass while carrying a weapon and trespass onto private property at night, Capt Weerayut Tanyasirisukvorakul of the Chalong Police told The Phuket News today (July 18).

Police action over the attack came on Tuesday after Chalong Police Chief Col Therdthoon Sroisukphaphan ordered Chalong Police Deputy Chief Lt Col Sanan Janrong to investigate videos posted online showing a foreign man attacking a dog in front of a massage shop near Nai Harn Beach.

The man was seen arriving on his motorbike and parking in front of the shop. He retrieved a metal rod from under the seat and walked into the area in front of the shop and repeatedly struck the dog with the metal rod, before leaving on his motorbike. (See story here.)

Officers went to Harding’s house in Rawai at 8:30pm to question him and take his statement, Capt Weerayut explained.

“We questioned him about the incident. At first he denied it, but then admitted it when we showed him the video,” he said.

Through Harding’s statement and other evidence, police confirmed that Harding arrived at the shop at 00.07am on July 16, Capt Weerayut said.

“He carried a steel rod 50cm long into the shopfront area and used it to hit the massage shop owner’s dog. He hit the dog many times then fled by motorbike,” he said.

Harding said that he attacked the dog because it had attacked his dog, Capt Weerayut noted.

“He said that he hit that dog because it kept fighting with his dog. He said he loved his dog very much and that he wanted revenge. He did say it with a sad face,” Capt Weerayut added.

As agreed with police last night, Harding presented himself at Chalong Police Station this morning to be charged.

SKYPARK

“He was taken to Phuket Provincial Court about 10am today,” Capt Weerayut said.

“I filed charges of trespass under Section 358 of the Criminal Code, trespass by carrying arms under Section 365(2) and trespass at night Section 365(3), as well as animal cruelty under Section 20 of the Animal Cruelty and Provision of Animal Welfare Act,” Capt Weerayut confirmed.

“He admitted all the charges,” he said.

Harding was arraigned and at police request has been denied bail.

“I insisted that he be denied bail. Now he is being held in the detention cells at the court,” Capt Weerayut said.

“I have reported this case to the British embassy, Phuket Tourist Police and Phuket Immigration,” Capt Weerayut confirmed.

“His wife (sic) begged me not* to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said.

Harding has yet to have the charges heard against in court, Capt Weerayut confirmed.

"That might take up to a month," he said.

* Sincerest apologies for the omission in the original posting of this story

MartinK | 21 July 2019 - 07:52:32

LOL. A few years ago a neighbor of mine would reach through my gate and hit my dog with a long stick. I had it on video and went to police after asking the neighbor to stop. I was fined 1000 Baht, neighbor no charges. Solution? I got a solid gate and built a 2.5M wall around my grounds. Lesson learned.

DeKaaskopp | 20 July 2019 - 15:17:48

"On march 15..." Isn't it strange that the same person is again and again involved in a dispute or conflicting situations with her neighbours or other persons? Can't be only coincidental.

Christy Sweet | 19 July 2019 - 15:53:49

On March 15,  my neighbor trespassed onto my property, would not leave, picked up a  stick and hit me 4 times with it. I have this attack on video. Police put me through hell trying to even make a report, and no she's not been charged as far as I know. THey did tell me had I retaliated in any way, they would have arrested me.

Rene | 19 July 2019 - 14:47:58

Not only the crash... many things more underneath the carpet. Just mention the fire in Tiger years ago (3 death) and and and

simosiam | 19 July 2019 - 13:23:22

Good news! I hope he get what he deserve. Dog fighting is not a human matter and pretend revenge because your dog lost the fight it's looser attitude.

GerryT81 | 18 July 2019 - 21:51:54

Excellent news !

Fascinated | 18 July 2019 - 20:32:13

beat a dog= go to jail if a farang. Meanwhile we are still waiting for the taxi driver to be charged over the Thalang crash months ago and he's still driving- it speaks volumes

DSI hunts for nominees in Phuket tour boat inspections

...all that paper safety matters. Tour boat safety by looking for nominees. Laugh or cry?...(Read More)

DSI hunts for nominees in Phuket tour boat inspections

A change in Thailand about powering tourist boats is important. For safety 'sustainability' ...(Read More)

Eva Air to launch direct flights to Phuket

Gerry, you made me laugh about your ...until the final outcome... remark. That can take looooong t...(Read More)

Children in need: Police put children first in crackdown on late-night street hawking

Beside the Karon police station at the beach road in Karon is a cluster of 5 fish restaurants. popul...(Read More)

Fishermen receive reward for discovery of turtle egg nests as part of new preservation project

The Fishermen should also be awarded with a free Chinese Meal complete with Oceanic White Tip Sharks...(Read More)

DSI hunts for nominees in Phuket tour boat inspections

All gasoline powered tourist / passenger carrying vessels are deadly. A diesel powered vessel is a s...(Read More)

DSI hunts for nominees in Phuket tour boat inspections

@Facinated. If you go to the Thailand BOI website, lists "Advantages", well, maybe they sh...(Read More)

DSI hunts for nominees in Phuket tour boat inspections

@GJCS. I have been a Commercial Seafarer since 1978. My CV is 64 pages long & only 12 of printed...(Read More)

Eva Air to launch direct flights to Phuket

I was not talking about illegal Burmese immigrants. These people can be very well legal in Thailand....(Read More)

Eva Air to launch direct flights to Phuket

...published how much everyone will get finally.Better to stop whinging until you know the final out...(Read More)