THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Phuket police to motorbike riders: do not use underpass

Phuket police to motorbike riders: do not use underpass

PHUKET: Over 50 motorbike riders were pulled over near Central Festival in Wichit this morning (Jan 20) for illegally using the Darasamut Underpass and riding without a helmet.

transport
By Saroj Kueprasertkij

Wednesday 20 January 2016, 03:51PM

Wichit Police recently received a number of complaints that scores of motorbikes riders have driven through the Darasamut Underpass, in direct violation of the recently amended Phuket traffic laws. Police are ramping up enforcement efforts to make it known that motorbikes are not allowed in the underpass.

“We are aware of motorists illegally making u-turns at the underpass, some of whom used the underpass without a helmet which is very dangerous for their own lives and others,” Pol Maj. Waisakda Klinkeow of Vichit police told The Phuket News.

“We would like all motorists to understand that we are doing this because of your own safety. We do not want to waste your time for nothing,” he explained.

Police set up a table for motorists to pay their fined on-the-spot so they do not have to go to the station. But if riders do not have their money to pay the fine then and there, they will have to go to the station by themselves.

“The fine is up to B500 for no helmet and B1,000 for illegal u-turn and using the underpass. We hope this will help them be more careful when using public roads,” Maj Waisakda added.

Kurt | 21 January 2016 - 18:22:45

The problem is basically the ignorance attitude of Phuket Aurhorities, refusing the use of English language on traffic signs on a international island as Phuket is.

And I was told that many thai have problems with reading thai language as well.
I know I am not allowed to use underpasses with a motorbike, simply I red that in english Phuket newspapers.
But tourist probably didn't, and who ...

MrLion | 21 January 2016 - 14:46:03

I took the underpass one time by mistake. You don\'t feel comfortable at all with your motorbike inside. I don\'t use it anymore but I didn\'t know if was forbidden.

Fritz Pinguin | 21 January 2016 - 13:56:49

@beerzy: There are plenty of signs, but I agree that it might be helpful to sprinkle a few words in English on them.

Richard Vickers | 21 January 2016 - 12:07:53

@marklouisw - yes Mark, it is going to happen as soon as they finish clearing all the illegal commerce off Surin Beach, which is soon after they finish under-grounding the power lines in Patong.

slippery snake | 20 January 2016 - 21:53:55

I just read the other day the police were going to confiscate the bikes of those who rode without a helmet !!!    so when is this going to happen  ????  I guess never.

Penny for them | 20 January 2016 - 21:47:51

They missed the helmetless farang on a big bike doing about 100 kph who passed my car (and others) in the underpass at about 8 am this morning...

beerzy85 | 20 January 2016 - 16:51:06

hooray finally the police have started to work on this problem.  maybe a couple of signs 200 metres before this underpass will educate bike riders not to enter

Saving the elephant

Ouch... 'horse' should be 'horses','would' should be 'wouldn't',...(Read More)

Smith's Ashes run-spree sparks Bradman comparisons

Mr Winfield, I didn't accuse you of cheating, in sport, cheating in anything, is cheating, I do ...(Read More)

Jamie’s Phuket: A visit to Doi Thepnimit temple

It's built on the site of what was a popular camp-site (privately owned of course) and the track...(Read More)

Saving the elephant

R,that's a heartwarming story and i bet for some people it's the only companion....(Read More)

Thai airways reports loss of 122% in Q2

Reg.:Suggestion of having 2 types of air crafts only" A quick look at fleets of leading Asian,M...(Read More)

Phuket Property Guide: What makes a condo in Phuket?

You forgot to mention that unless a condo has a HOTEL LICENSE, its is illegal to rent for periods of...(Read More)

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

Argh - hating the recently added non edit function- please capitalize P in Phoenix....(Read More)

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

Florida resident here, with many hurricane experiences and that was a Category 1 which I was driving...(Read More)

Chinese tourist rescued from surf by Patong lifeguards

Mr ematt, it's very simple, they weren't in the water to rescue him, until after he got into...(Read More)

Smith's Ashes run-spree sparks Bradman comparisons

Mr Winfield, where did I say it was "acceptable," I simply stated we all make mistakes, yo...(Read More)