FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

Phuket Opinion: It pays to be honest

PHUKET: It appears to have come as no surprise to many readers of The Phuket News that there was a “sex show” venue operating in the island’s main entertainment hub of Patong.

opinionpatongpolicesextourismmilitaryChinesecrimeThe Phuket News

Sunday 18 June 2017, 09:00AM

Take a walk down Bangla Rd on any given night to see the touts promoting sex shows.

It also appears to come as no surprise to readers that it took soldiers led by Col Santi Sakuntanark, Commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment and the highest-ranking army officer stationed in Phuket, to carry out the raid on the said venue, the Wake Up Club, last Wednesday, June 7.

But now the big question has to be why was it soldiers who were responsible for carrying out the raid on the venue?

Col Santi has already declined to answer whether Patong Police admitted they knew about the sex show, or whether the Patong Police were questioned as to why no action had been taken to shut it down.

But when push comes to shove, it doesn’t necessarily take a brain surgeon to fathom why the venue was not closed down prior to the June 7 raid.

When asked if there would be any action against other sex shows in Phuket, Col Santi said, and these were his words:

“I don’t know. That we will have to find out. I have learned of only two places, one was the Wake Up Club, the other is already closed”.

QSI International School Phuket

At a time when Thailand, as a country is still, shall we say, in a period of political instability and the ruling government are trying their hardest to get everybody on their side, you would have thought that a bit more honesty would be forthcoming from government officials.

Perhaps Col Santi genuinely doesn’t know whether Patong Police knew about the sex show, but for him to say that there are only two places that he knew of that had sex shows is an insult to peoples’ intelligence.

Col Santi, please take a walk down Bangla Rd on any given night to see the touts promoting sex shows. But of course this would have to be done, as per the recent Wake Up Club raid, as a “special enforcement” as he described it.

No one can dispute that the army appears to be doing a far better job of cleaning up the island than the police, a fact which serves to reinforce people’s beliefs and give legitimacy to the army’s rule.

But if you hope to win over the people, it certainly pays to be honest them.

The people are not blind.

Comments Left:
# Characters

Kurt | 19 June 2017 - 16:45:11

Everybody in Patong know where the illegal sex show locations are.
The thai licensed tourguides, the illegal Chinese tour guides, the tourists and the locals.
Only the Patong Royal Police Force pretend not to know anything.
Why is that? Incompetence, bad eye sight? Or are brown envelopes to shiny?

Christy Sweet | 19 June 2017 - 14:25:31

I found the list of shows very entertaining, especially "cuts banana". But use of live creatures is cruelty and should be stopped. Can anyone enlighten me as to what Electric, Rainbow and Needle (ouch) are?  Also interesting is apparently it is, ( or was)  an adult female performing "Woman and snake" but female children "Girl with girl."

ematt | 19 June 2017 - 10:28:26

Rorii, my apologies if you have ever felt "attacked" by any of my comments. That is certainly not my intention.  As for your other concerns: The country of Thailand and it's people certainly do not need me, or any other foreigner, to be their "guardian".

Quite honestly - and please don't take this personally - I also doubt that they have any interest whatsoever in y...

Laughing Out Loud | 18 June 2017 - 16:34:47

I've been living and working on and off in Thailand since 1992.  Wow!  This is a big surprise for me.  All this time there are sex shows in Phuket? Thailand?  Because officially sex show does not exist in Thailand.  I read it somewhere.  And of all my world-wide travels Thailand is only country I can say military coup is needed to restore any credibility.  Lets hope those military honest guys ...

Rorii | 18 June 2017 - 08:29:39

Oh dear, this writer is sure to be "attacked" by those guardians of all things Thai... AKA anti kurt/Rorri gang, as this writer seems to point the finger at the not so "Royal" Thai Police as not being the upstanding law abiding public servants as they should be. I hand it over to Jor12, Eagle, Ematt and Foot, to defend the RTP.

Phuket jet-ski mechanic drowns in lake test drive

I started writing but couldn't be bothered......!...(Read More)

Motorcyclist killed while exiting Phuket underpass

I regular become 'overtaken' by high speed motorbikes on 1 lane underpass ( near central fes...(Read More)

Phuket jet-ski mechanic drowns in lake test drive

Known to be not a good swimmer, and not wearing life jacket, as all over the world people do if they...(Read More)

The ‘Cat Man’ of Aleppo

Men who help cats- heroes. Women who help cats- crazy....(Read More)

Phuket jet-ski mechanic drowns in lake test drive

That someone who can't swim would get on a jet-ski without a bouyancy vest at all never mind reg...(Read More)

First Phuket monkeys relocated to Koh Payu

Officials are happy but I am not sure about happiness amongst monkeys to be relocated on islands wit...(Read More)

First Phuket monkeys relocated to Koh Payu

Now the Wild life Education Centre + other 'relevant' government officials have to continuou...(Read More)

Phuket residents happy with wild monkey campaign, says wildlife chief

Spelling error, should be Wild Lie Chief. A post that has been too long neglected here....(Read More)

Pattaya vendor fined for threatening to shoot Chinese tourists

re: "Mr.Trump/Netanjahu in jail" Perhaps they should. I can't recall anywhere else in...(Read More)

Motorcyclist killed while exiting Phuket underpass

Since motorbikes are clearly forbidden from entering these underpasses I'd say it's a clear ...(Read More)