Where I grew up, in Australia, we have very serious medical terminologies that are used for these two common “problem” areas.
1. Bingo wings – otherwise known as untoned upper arms
2. Love handles – otherwise known as “muffin top” or untoned midsection.
Never fear! This month’s asana Makara Phalakasana, the elbow plank, is a one stop assault on both these common problem areas and does not require any other equipment but your own body and the willingness to use it! Your body is your “weight bar”. You made your body, you should also be able to lift it. Let’s look at the benefits of this quiet achiever:
Strengthens the core, shoulders, arms and chest
Stretches the shoulders, arches of the feet, calves and hamstrings
Tones the abdominals and “glutes”
Helps to relieve stress and depression.
Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
Helps prevent osteoporosis
To start enjoying the benefits of this asana simply follow the steps below:
1. Start in a push up position, shoulders on top of your wrists. Lower down to your forearms, one arm at a time.
2. Place your elbows beneath your shoulders with your forearms and palms flat to the mat. Roll your shoulder blades onto your back.
3. Push your heels back and roll your inner thighs inwards and upwards. Keep your core engaged and roll your tailbone in the direction of your heels. Your eye gaze is in between your hands.
4. Breathe steadily and hold for 30 seconds to one minute. Then lower your knees and hips to the ground. Repeat twice.
See you next month
Kim White is the owner of Sala Samadhi. she offers authentic Hatha yoga instruction for private and group sessions. Contact: www.mindbodyyogasystem.com or 086 276 9174.
The opinions and advice contained in this column are those of the author only. The Phuket News is not responsible for the outcome or results of following any advice in any situation.