Kata Rocks
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Phuket considers introduction of new ‘Live Thai’ rules

Phuket considers introduction of new ‘Live Thai’ rules

PHUKET: The Phuket News has carried out a special investigation and discovered that officials, with the assistance with universities in the UK as well as France and other countries currently in the EU, and further abroad in Russia, India and China, have secretly been studying what they see as “quantine”, or “annoying” in English, habits of foreigners, mainly expats, and will consider introducing new rules which will see the expat community live more like Thai people.

tourismcultureimmigrationhumorhealth
By Matt Pond

Saturday 1 April 2017, 05:00AM

Men in ‘speedos’ and women in ‘thong’ bikinis on beaches was just obne of the anooying habits complained about. Photo: Alan Light/Flickr

The study, which is said to have been ongoing for at least five years, has been confirmed by a member of the study panel who disclosed information to The Phuket News unaware that he was speaking to an undercover reporter.

“The new laws, which will apply only to the island’s expat community, will be called ‘Live Thai’ rules,” said Paul Skinback of the Skegness Douwhoop University in the United Kingdom.

“The study began after a large number of Thai people – and it was large, and not only hi-so – started making complaints to officials in popular expat provinces that they were getting annoyed by several habits of foreigners.

“Issues that these people saw as annoying included: those that made no attempt to speak the Thai language, those that could not eat spicy food, men in ‘speedos’ and women in ‘thong’ bikinis on beaches, men wearing long socks with sandals, and also some more which are a lot more bizarre,” said Mr Skinback.

When asked who actually requested he get involved in the study, Mr Skinback was reluctant to say. “I don’t think it is my duty to reveal that information to you,” he answered.

Asked if he was in a position to confirm what any of the laws would be, Mr Skinback again was reluctant to answer. However, after a small pressing he revealed: “They saw that expats not making an attempt to speak Thai was a big problem. A lot of people, especially beach vendors, complained about this. In fact, in more recent times I believe they have complained more about this than having not been allowed to work on the beaches.

“In view of this, if the new ‘Live Thai’ rules are introduced, this will include only Thai residents, not migrant workers, being able to report expats that do not try to speak Thai with them,” he said.

“They will be able to report these expats to immigration officials, who we have been told will not receive any payment for receiving the report, who will take action,” he added.

Mr Skinback could not confirm if any punishments had been set for breaking the new rules but did say that if successful. the rules would be introduced in other expat popular areas including Pattaya and Khon Kaen, “Where a lot of men have recently settled very happily with their young wives” he said.

“It could also been introduced in other expat popular regions in other countries there has been so much positive feedback,” Mr Skinback revealed.

Asked if he knew when the rules would be introduced,” Mr Skinback replied, “Today, April Fool’s Day!”

Rorii | 04 April 2017 - 12:48:20

Eagle, maaaaate, sense of humour.... did you actually read the first line of my comment? It seems me, maybe even others, except yourself, that I might indeed been laughing at myself. It seems I do have a sense of humour, but sadly you do not.

Rorii | 03 April 2017 - 10:24:38

Eagle, you should have seen me before going on a diet.
Really mate, your childish never ceases to amaze me, you've previously accused me of drink, when in fact I'm a non-drinker, but hey, you do seem to  make many baseless accusations, not that we expect any real intelligence.

skip | 03 April 2017 - 10:18:28

yup, ya had me going.good one! and yes i believe there is little truth behind the content, probably annoying the expats more than the thais. it is a little embarrassing seeing tourists in budgie smugglers at jung ceylon.

Rorii | 01 April 2017 - 11:31:48

Mmm, April 1, brings out the "best" stories.
Good to see the humor.
Good to see Australia was not mentioned, who are so perfect.

curlyphyl@yahoo.com | 01 April 2017 - 09:05:03

I have an addition to these rules.  As an expat living in Phuket I have tried for years to learn Thai but almost every time I use it Thai people will answer me in Thai.  I know the culture is gracious and maybe Thai people consider it rude to correct a person especially a farang, but I would appreciate being corrected if needed and answered in Thai so that I can learn the language.  Thai people, d...

tamvong | 01 April 2017 - 07:14:57

You have to do better than this for April 1st!

Discover Thainess | 01 April 2017 - 06:48:59

Gotta love the first of April - great article guys !! Haha !!

Behind bras: GMS Duty Free calls for donated intimates for inmates

Just 409 female inmates? prison clothing + shackles available, but no budget for 409 bra's only?...(Read More)

Concerns raised over reef shark fishing impact on Maya Bay

The rich thai business people who own fishing boats pay their crew little to nothing ( slave labour)...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

After choking Amit, Bullman started chasing the wife. She hid in the bushes for 20 mins till he was ...(Read More)

Norwegian tourist charged for killing British man at Phuket resort

Pls note that this news has been distorted. I have checked with relatives and must clarify. The Ba...(Read More)

Concerns raised over reef shark fishing impact on Maya Bay

I've said many times before, uneducated fishermen are the biggest threat to a healthy ocean. The...(Read More)

Phuket officials file report of Lady D damaging corals

Trumpian reality hits Thailand: 1. Create a problem 2. Blame someone else for problem you created ...(Read More)

Govt waives visa fees, not visas, for Chinese, Indian visitors

"..with a smelly discriminatory accent for tourists from other countries."Something touris...(Read More)

MP Sira files complaint to DSI over Phuket condo project The Peaks

The hundreds of rai in Sirinat Nat'l Forest reserve in Layan currently being cleared certainly ...(Read More)

The Peaks Residences owner speaks out over land claim, public controversy

Ben, ever wonder why a Bangkok MP got involves with this issue in the fissrt place. Even though the ...(Read More)