THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

Phuket’s Ace 1 condo developer faces fraud, Computer Crime charges

PHUKET: The developers of the Ace 1 Condominium project in Patong are lined up to face a slew of charges, including fraud and contravention of the Computer Crime Act, Col Angkul Klaiklueng of the Royal Thai Police Consumer Protection Division warned yesterday (July 6).

crimeconstructionpolicepatongland
By The Phuket News

Tuesday 7 July 2015, 07:22PM


Col Angkul Klaiklueng of the Royal Thai Police Consumer Protection Division. Photo: PR Dept

Col Angkul Klaiklueng of the Royal Thai Police Consumer Protection Division. Photo: PR Dept

“The Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB), the Anti-Money Laundering Office and the Kathu police are now gathering evidence to build their case against the company,” he said.

“Buyers who paid deposits for units at the project are urged to file complaints at the Kathu police station within seven days, so authorities can include those complaints in their investigation.”

Col Angkul was addressing a meeting of more than 50 attendees held to discuss the ongoing investigation into the project, which after two years of investigation has seen deadline after deadline ignored without action. (See story here.)

Col Angkul told the meeting that the charges being prepared against the developer, The Nine Property (Patong) Co, included fraud, developing land without the required permits, failure to obtain a building permit, and contravention of the Consumer Protection Act.

Col Angkul also told the meeting that The Nine Property (Patong) Co had heavily promoted the project online, which means its directors may face charges under the Computer Crime Act.

So far 21 people who paid deposits for 48 units have filed complaints with the Damrongtham Centre (provincial ombudsman’s office) and with the Phuket OCPB office,” said Ampon Wongsiri, the OCPB secretary-general from Bangkok.

QSI International School Phuket

“The project had 183 units and half of the foreigners who bought units in the project have yet to file complaints with the police. We are contacting embassies in order to contact them,” he said.

Complaints were filed as far back as 2013, Mr Ampon noted.

“Customers each paid deposits of B400,000 per unit to the company, but the project has yet to begin,” he said, adding that the project was promoted as scheduled for completion on April 30 this year.

“The victims now want their down payments and the security deposits back.”

The OCPB contacted The Nine Property Co and asked for the deposits to be repaid to the claimants. The OCPB has yet to receive a reply from the company, Mr Ampon said.

Once criminal charges have been filed, the OCPB will file a civil suit against the developer in order to recover the deposits on behalf of the claimants, he added.

 

 

Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.

Comments Here:
Comments Left:
# Characters
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:

Richard Vickers | 20 January 2016 - 21:28:14

My suggestion to the farang investors would be to enroll in a health club, and start practicing bending over and grabbing your ankles, because you are going to need to get used to that position. I am betting dollars to donuts, that little to no trace of the invested monies are going to be readily available, as most of it has already been spent on cars, taxis, jetskis and other juvenile toys that y...

Have a news tip-off? Click here

 

Phuket community
Tour boats blamed for widespread reef damage

Timo hit the nail on the head, and all the warnings of environmental degradation continuously fall o...(Read More)


Chinese Consul General meets Phuket Governor to discuss tourist safety

"“I am very happy to hear that the Thai government has made the safety of Chinese tourists a ...(Read More)


Governor pushes water-shortage solutions

"“We will not charge residents any costs for emergency water provdied,” the governor assure...(Read More)


Welcoming HMAS Canberra: Australian Navy head to Phuket for training and community activities

"Pascale one wonders why the cereal(sic) is allowed. Emails to the Editor get no reply. I think...(Read More)


Welcoming HMAS Canberra: Australian Navy head to Phuket for training and community activities

"talking is so much easier.Always the same," hope to see you there, getting your hands dir...(Read More)


Army starts rolling in emergency water supply to Phuket

"Col Santi explained, “Lt Gen Pornsak learned that local residents in Phuket were now in trou...(Read More)


Hunted seastead couple ‘traced to Tarutao’

Fake news by thai authorities. The US-Thai couple didn't build, tugged, and anchored the floati...(Read More)


Army starts rolling in emergency water supply to Phuket

I thought the Gov said there was NO drought so why is the Army turning up with water tankers. Don...(Read More)


Army starts rolling in emergency water supply to Phuket

Finally army has taken over from a governor who still denies there is a water crisis on Phuket. Besi...(Read More)


Mains water supply outage announced

Interesting mental output at 5.16. Fascinating with all those dots and half finished sentences,but w...(Read More)