Phuket City Mayor Suppachoke Laongphet led an inspection of the landfill at the Phuket Provincial Waste Disposal Centre yesterday (Apr 15), following the fire that broke out in landfill plots 4 and 5 last Saturday (Apr 11).
Heavy machinery has been deployed to dig through waste and create access routes, while crews install and extend a long-distance water pumping system designed to cool deep-seated heat within the landfill. Six-inch hoses now carry water from a wastewater treatment plant some three kilometres away directly into the centre of the affected area.
Officials from the Phuket Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, Phuket City Municipality and other agencies are working in coordination to reduce heat accumulation beneath the surface – a key factor behind recurring flare-ups in landfill fires.
Mayor Suppachoke said the situation is gradually improving, but warned that extreme heat and residual hotspots continue to pose a serious risk.
“Small patches of smoke are still visible, particularly near landfill site number 4,” he said. “Continuous monitoring remains essential to prevent re-ignition.”
To improve access for firefighting teams, municipal engineers have been ordered to construct temporary crossings over drainage ditches, allowing faster movement of equipment and more efficient water distribution across the site. Patrol teams have also been deployed to monitor the area around the clock.
DRONE SCANS REVEAL HIDDEN HOTSPOTS
Later yesterday, the mayor joined officers from the Royal Thai Navy’s Third Area Command to conduct an aerial survey using drones, capturing thermal images to identify hidden hotspots beneath the waste.
The survey revealed that while the number of hotspots has decreased compared to previous days, several areas of concern remain buried within the landfill.
“These aerial images are extremely useful,” Mayor Suppachoke said. “They allow us to pinpoint where heat is still building up and position our teams accordingly.”
A follow-up drone survey is scheduled for today (Apr 16) to assess whether conditions have improved further.
DANGER PERSISTS
The fire, which was first reported at 3:17pm last Saturday, was officially brought under control in the early hours of April 13 after more than 34 hours of continuous firefighting.
However, authorities have repeatedly warned that landfill fires are notoriously difficult to fully extinguish due to the depth of accumulated waste and the presence of combustible materials such as batteries, paint cans and gas lighters.
Even after the flames were suppressed, inspections revealed multiple underground hotspots still emitting smoke, driven by heat trapped deep within the waste piles.
Phuket City District Chief Siwat Rawangkul confirmed earlier this week that at least 11 such hotspots were detected following the main firefighting operation.
Measures now in place include continuous water spraying, installation of temperature monitoring systems, and 24-hour surveillance to ensure the site does not reignite, he reiterated.
DISASTER RESPONSE
As the fire intensified on Sunday (Apr 12), Phuket Governor Nirat Pongsitthaworn declared the landfill an emergency disaster relief zone, enabling faster mobilisation of resources and assistance for affected residents.
The province coordinated a large-scale response involving multiple municipalities, private sector support, volunteers and military assistance, including drone operations by the Royal Thai Navy.
At the height of the incident, thick black smoke was visible across the area, affecting at least 82 households and forcing some residents to seek temporary shelter.
During a site visit on Tuesday (Apr 14), Phuket Vice Governor Adul Chuthong ordered urgent assistance for residents affected by smoke drifting from the landfill.
Face masks, drinking water, eye wash and basic medical supplies were distributed to communities in the Saphan Hin area, while ambulances and emergency medical teams remain on standby to respond to respiratory complaints.
Authorities also temporarily suspended waste deliveries to the site citing safety concerns and limited capacity, as well as diverting municipal water trucks from Songkran festivities to firefighting efforts.
Officials also discussed improving access routes for water trucks and machinery to reach the most affected zones, particularly landfill site number 5, where smoke has persisted.
ONGOING RISK
Officials have stressed that the current hot and dry weather remains a critical factor in the continued risk of re-ignition.
Landfill fires can smoulder for days or even weeks beneath the surface, making them particularly difficult to fully extinguish without sustained cooling and monitoring.
Phuket City Municipality has pledged to maintain 24-hour surveillance and continue deploying resources until all heat sources are eliminated and the site is confirmed safe.
“We cannot let our guard down,” Mayor Suppachoke said. “Even though the situation has improved, the risk is still there. Our teams will continue working until we are certain there is no chance of the fire returning.”
Additional reporting by Eakkapop Thongtub
and Natnaree Likidwatanasakun


