EVENTS AND PARTICIPANTS:
- 10,500 athletes
- 205 national Olympic committees
- 7,500 team officials
- 3,000 technical officials
- 26 sports, 39 disciplines
- 302 medal events
- 34 Olympic venues
- 8.8 million tickets
- 21,000 journalists and staff
- 70,000 volunteers
- 100,000 contractors
- 2.5 square kilometres of former industrial wasteland in east London, an area roughly the size of the capital's famous Hyde Park.
- 9 major competition venues, including a £486-million ($790-million, 550-million euro) stadium with capacity of 80,000, an aquatics centre with room for 17,500 spectators and a 6,000 capacity Velodrome.
- More than 4,000 trees, 74,000 plants, 60,000 bulbs and 350,000 wetlands plants put in as part of Britain's largest ever planting project.
- 4 skeletons removed from a prehistoric settlement discovered on the site.
- 2,000 newts relocated to a nature reserve.
- £9.3 billion, triple the original estimate.
- A further £6.5 billion to modernise London's creaking public transport network, to manage three million extra daily journeys on top of the 12 million made on any ordinary day in the capital.
- 13,500 army, air force and navy personnel, 12,000 police, 13,200 private security personnel and 3,000 volunteers
- A budget of £553 million, raised from £282 million in December 2011.
- Warplanes, two navy ships including a helicopter carrier stationed in the River Thames and batteries of surface-to-air missiles on stand-by.