The Phuket News Premier League predictions The Phuket News Kata Rocks The Phuket News Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
The Phuket News Phuket News
The Phuket News Phuket | Thailand | World | Business | Q&A | Weird World XML, RSS, Feed
The Phuket News The Phuket News
The Phuket News

French expat dead by knife in chest, Phuket police deem suicide

PHUKET: Police believe a French expat found dead in his home in Kamala this morning died by his own hand, stabbing himself in the chest with a knife.

death, police,

Eakkapop Thongtub

Thursday 15 June 2017, 02:48PM

A Tourist Police officer at the the scene this morning (June 15). Photo: Tourist Police

Capt Prasert Thongprom of the Kamala Police was notified at 10:45am.

Officers and rescue workers arrived to find the body of the man, identified as Henri Paul Jean Melot, 81, from Morlaix, slumped in a chair beside his computer with a knife in his left chest.

“There were no other signs of a struggle. The television and computer were still on. We believe he died no more than four hours before we arrived,” Capt Prasert said.

Forensic police have inspected the scene.

“Police at this stage believe the man died by his own hand,” Capt Prasert said.

“Regardless, we have had the man’s body taken to Patong Hospital for further examination. We have also contacted the French embassy representatives and informed them of the death,” he added.

Tourist Police reported that Mr Melot lived in the house with his wife and that he was suffering from lung cancer.

However, police have yet to mention where Mr Melot’s wife was at the time of his death.

UPDATE:

Ms Chalermsee, Mr Melot’s wife, explained to The Phuket News this afternoon that Henri was a retired doctor.

“We found out that he had cancer about three to four months ago. I asked him to have surgery, be he refused,” she said.

“We hired a nurse to take a good care of him. When his condition was very serious, he needed 24-hour care. Lately he was better, but the nurse still came and helped me at home,” she said.

Ms Chalermsee explained that she and the nurse were at home this morning.

“It was a normal morning,” she said. “We both got up, and the nurse was in the bedroom cleaning up when a friend of mine stopped by to visit.

“Henri was in the living room, on the computer when I went outside to talk with my friend – I was outside less than five minutes when I heard his chair shaking,” Ms Chalermsee recounted.

The last thing I saw was Henri waving at me… I thought he wanted to go to the bathroom and I went to get his walker, and then the nurse screamed from what she saw,” she said.

Forget your password?

Kurt | 18 June 2017 - 14:55:09

Again, reactionary Eagle is guessing only..  as he wrote.

Christy Sweet | 18 June 2017 - 07:55:20

Killing one's self by plunging a knife into the chest has got to be extremely painful- not to mention risky. Hit a rib or miss the heart by mere centimeters and experience a slow, horrible, likely  gasping  for air  death. Maybe that's the "chair shaking" and the  apparent several hour discrepancy between the death and police arrival accounted for?
There no mention of ambulance called either.
 Yes, I concur from the info in this article - a highly suspicious declaration of suicide.

When will police stop offering public pronouncements on such deaths? It is up to a licensed medical examiner to ascertain and issue a finding.

Kurt | 17 June 2017 - 17:52:00

To lift my Cordon Sanitaire regarding Eagle in this matter,
The answer his silly question: ..YES, I DID!....
Never protective isolation clothes/ isolating slippers at the scenes to make sure DNA evidence can be collected before these 'shuffles', busy with their iPhones, are spoiling the scene of possible crime.
Just show iphones talks with wives and girl friends for lunch or dinner.

The silly photos show it all.

Anyway, the time talks of family and police are not matching, many hours different.
Stabbing this doctor with a knife from behind him is possible.
Who tries to kill himself that way with a knife? Such a silly thought.

Jor12 | 16 June 2017 - 20:10:14

"A medical doctor never would step out of life this way." On what basis do you base this profound statement? Nothing

Kurt | 16 June 2017 - 16:43:17

Christy Sweet: Exactly!
But what can you expect on Phuket about crime scene investigation?
Just crime scene evidence destroying by shuffling around police officers who only interested in watching their iPhone, and photograph each other ( see photo)
Is there a officlal police crime scene photographer who keeps these other ' believe' cops away from the scene until the real investigation is done?
That 4 hour 'believing' thing, yes, that is saying something.

Christy Sweet | 16 June 2017 - 16:00:09

These articles are always subject to second hand info and translations but I find this quote-“ We believe he died no more than four hours before we arrived,” Capt Prasert said.
 To really not jive with Ms Chalermsee's; "Henri was in the living room, on the computer when I went outside to talk with my friend – I was outside less than five minutes when I heard his chair shaking,”
So what's the several hour discrepancy in hearing a problem and the police arrival?

Kurt | 16 June 2017 - 10:48:26

Rorri, I agree. A medical doctor never would step out of life this way.
But perhaps it was a doctor in philosophy? ( PhD, non medical)

And sometimes it looks like when the police receives a call of a death foreigner they already fill out the course of death on the form as ..suicide.. before they leave the police station.
It is that 'police believe' what blocks scientific investigations at the scene.

Rorri | 15 June 2017 - 18:00:10

I won't give the "muffet" gang any reason to criticize my comment, I just say, if I was a doctor, I'm sure I could find a far easier, less traumatic, way to commit suicide.

Matches 8 result(s)