THE PAVILIONS PHUKET EPL Prediction Competition 2018-2019 Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

Fart blamed for fire during surgery; patient seriously burned

TOKYO: A patient’s fart during surgery apparently sparked a fire that caused serious burns to her body, a university hospital in Tokyo noted in its reports.

health
By The Phuket News

Tuesday 1 November 2016, 09:45AM


The laser is suspected of igniting the gas the patient passed during surgery. Photo: AFP / file

The laser is suspected of igniting the gas the patient passed during surgery. Photo: AFP / file

The fire occurred at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward on April 15, reported Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun.

The patient in her 30s was undergoing an operation that involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus. (See story here.)

The laser is suspected of igniting the gas the patient passed. The ensuing flames burned much of her body, including her waist and legs.

In a report released by the hospital last Friday (Oct 28), a committee of outside experts who looked into the case said no flammable materials were in the operation room at the time of the surgery.

The equipment for the operation was also functioning normally, the report said.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

 

 

Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.

Comments Here:
Comments Left:
# Characters
Username:
Password:
E-mail:
Security:

Be the first to comment.

Have a news tip-off? Click here

 

Phuket community
Mai Khao beach declared ‘not safe’ after Chinese tourist in coma post-rescue

Wow...what a declaration for a beach holiday destination...that the beach is unsafe. That is why pe...(Read More)


GoAir to launch India’s first direct Phuket flights

Well, Phuket has it's yearly Vegetarian festival, with body punctures and all. Vegetarian food a...(Read More)


Mai Khao beach declared ‘not safe’ after Chinese tourist in coma post-rescue

Are there any thai Phuket governor, vice-governor, or other government Officials daring to say that ...(Read More)


GoAir to launch India’s first direct Phuket flights

As long as the 36% not come all at the same time it should be no problem to cater for them....(Read More)


Amid ‘overtourism’ scourge, global survey questions happiness of residents in major tourism destinations

The article doesn't put Phuket in a row with Barcelona ,Brasilia etc.It's about "Unesco...(Read More)


Royal Thai Navy leads marine rescue exercise in Phuket

Tourist safety starts with prevention, that 'safes' a lot of rescues. Good prevention befor...(Read More)


Govt to splash B151mn to prevent Phuket road flooding

Thai have a low profile commission system, right? Actually to govern well, you do not do important t...(Read More)


Major water shutoff to hit from Phuket Town to Rawai

Nothing wrong with the pipe lay out system. A new "mains "supply pipe will installed.Actua...(Read More)


Govt to splash B151mn to prevent Phuket road flooding

The governor seems to be trying hard to ink a lot of big budget deals just before his leaving Phuket...(Read More)


Traffic safety raises concerns in Phuket light-rail plans

Let's hope the Chalong Underpass is finished before light rail station construction there starts...(Read More)


 

Melbourne Cup 2018