Kata Rocks
THE PAVILIONS PHUKET BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

New Phoenix owner aims to restore wreck, return it to the sea

PHUKET: The Phuket man who bought the wreck of the fateful Phuket tour boat Phoenix at auction earlier this month aims to restore the boat and then sink it at the same location where it fell beneath the waves in July last year, killing 47 Chinese tourists, as a way of making merit.

tourismtransportdisastersdeathChineseculture
By Tanyaluk Sakoot

Friday 16 August 2019, 12:32PM

Preecha Jaiart, who operates the Truck2hand.com website for selling secondhand heavy vehicles, including trucks, buses, vans and boats, conducted several merit-making ceremonies on the boat at Rattanachai Shipyard on the east side of Phuket Town yesterday (Aug 15).

Mr Preecha bought the salvaged wreck of the Phoenix for B905,000 at an auction held in Phuket on Aug 7. (See story here.)

The boat was finally sold after several attempts by the Anti-Money Laundering Office (Amlo), which has been tasked with disposing of the state-seized asset since police investigators completed their inspections last year into the operations of the former owner for operating illegally. (See story here.)

“Lots of people have asked why I bought the Phoenix,” Mr Preecha said.

“I am a Phuket person and a Thai citizen. I feel deeply saddened as many people lost their lives in the tragic accident,” he added.

“Those who died from the tragic boat sinking were tourists who came to travel to my hometown and unfortunately have to be here forever. I want to try my best to take care of them,” he said.

“Next, I want to restore the Phoenix to be good condition like it used to be, and return it back to the sea where the boat lay on the seabed. If possible, I also want to invite (Deputy Prime Minister) Mr Prawit Wongsuwan to preside over the ceremony to return the boat to the sea,” Mr Preecha explained.

Asked why he would want to restore the boat and then sink it again, Mr Preecha simply replied, "It just feels like the right thing to do."

BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET

Mr Preecha is now encountering a wall of bureaucracy in fulfilling his wish.

“The process to do that is not easy. I am talking with with the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), the Phuket Provincial Environment Office and the Phuket Marine Office.

“It is proving very difficult and complicated, but I assure you that I won’t break the boat down and sell its parts as other merchants would. My true aim is that I want Chinese people to know that Thai people love them like our close family members.” he said.

Mr Preecha added that he was open to other ideas of what to do with the Phoenix.

“I still need feedback about my idea. Please post your comments on whether you think it is appropriate or not. Or if you have a better idea, please let me know,” he said.

Mr Preecha invited people to post their comments on his Facebook page. (Click here.)

Christy Sweet | 18 August 2019 - 16:48:02

Argh - hating the recently added non edit function- please capitalize P in Phoenix.

Christy Sweet | 18 August 2019 - 16:45:46

Florida resident here, with many hurricane experiences and that was a Category 1 which I was driving in heading  north on the Patong -Surin coast road. Is the phoenix one of those converted fishing boats that are too top heavy, I wonder.

BenPendejo | 17 August 2019 - 07:58:43

Interesting to see the helm, where the Captain was at the controls before he realized that he REALLY screwed this up, and decided to get the hell out of there and leave over 100 other terrified tourists to fend for themselves.  Certainly one of the greatest acts of cowardice I know of.

Kurt | 16 August 2019 - 14:34:03

It is shocking to read that:
1:There is a wall of thai bureaucracy to overcome.
2: It is proving very thai difficult and thai complicated..
For what reasons? Is it disturbing institutions that make since the lifting of the Phoenix good money with present situation? Is corruption playing a role? Just a thought, just a question.

Kurt | 16 August 2019 - 14:27:03

Just recently mr Preecha told us he liked the Phoenix remaining at the ship yard grounds. His latest thinking to sink the Phoenix at the disaster location is great. There it can be a underwater monument and new dive site. As being asked, I feel it is very appropriate and support 100% his idea.

#PhuketOK aims to rejuvenate local tourism industry

PHUKET O.K. The brainstorming effort by this group must be at wits to come up with this policy. ...(Read More)

17 children rescued from Patong human-trafficking gang

" Sometime silence speaks more than talking" Yes K.,you should stick to that more frequent...(Read More)

Motorcycle taxi driver hospitalised in knife attack on Bangla Road

It should be forbidden that motor cycle-, taxi- and Van drivers have weapons with them while working...(Read More)

Government accused of being too submissive to China

@ Gerry, wrong thinking, sir. Anyone living in Thailand may ask questions about education/skills/b...(Read More)

#PhuketOK aims to rejuvenate local tourism industry

I use to love going to Phuket and I've been 4 times. After the last time I went in August 2019 I...(Read More)

Warrant issued for Plodprasop’s arrest

How thai since 1998 can make each other's life miserable. One can't make it up....(Read More)

Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

So they give the Chinese free entry without visas into the country and they turn around and charge a...(Read More)

17 children rescued from Patong human-trafficking gang

Well, it is clear. 'All done' by Bangkok. Not by Patong police. Why not? The Patong police C...(Read More)

COVID-19 infected man conceals truth, national total hits 40

If he recovers, there should be criminal charges for his stupid, selfish, dangerous and negligent ac...(Read More)

Looking to India for relief: Growth in Indian tourist arrivals may alleviate COVID-19 fallout

I have always found Indian people to be polite, good humored and family orientated. They are also qu...(Read More)