EPL Prediction Competition 2018-2019 Kata Rocks
Login | Create Account Poll Currency Weather Facebook Youtube Search

Car gutted by fire in Wichit

PHUKET: Firefighters in Wichit have yet to identify what caused a blaze that destroyed a Toyota Vios while a young man was taking his grandmother to her morning exercise and his niece to school this morning (May 17).

Thursday 17 May 2018, 06:11PM

Fire teams and police were called to scene, Chao Fa East Rd northbound, near the intersection with Pattana Thongthin Rd, at 7:20am.

They arrived find find the car parked half up onto the footpath, engulfed in flames.

The firefighters took 30 minutes to douse the blaze, but by then the entire interior of the car had been gutted.

Thapakorn Jaibanjert, the 25-year-old owner of the car, told police, “I was driving from my house about one kilometre away when the fire started. I was taking my grandmother to Suan Luang (Rama IX Park) for her morning exercise and taking my niece to school.

“I saw smoke coming out of the air conditioning vents, and then I could flames inside the vents – so I pulled over and got my grandmother and niece out of the car as quickly as I could and got them a safe distance away from the fire,” he said.

People nearby helped to try to put the fire out, but couldn’t, Mr Thapakorn added.

“I have no idea how the fire started. I thought it may have started from the engine, but the engine itself was not damaged by the fire,” he explained.

QSI International School Phuket

Officers from the Wichit Fire Station, located with 300 meters from the scene of the incident, confirmed they were still investigating the remains of the car in the hope of identifying what caused the blaze.

The car fire in Wichit came just hours after another car fire in Phuket.

Rescue workers in Rassada were called to the scene of an accident where two vehicles had caught fire in front of Baan Kuku School at about 5am.

The two vehicles, a Bangkok-registered Nissan and a pickup truck registered in Phuket, had both caught fire after a collision.

One of the vehicles had struck a power pole, causing power cables to fall onto the road.

One firefighter at the scene explained, ”It was not easy putting the fire out because power cables had become loose and fell onto the road. We had to wait for the power supply to be switched off before we could start using our fire hoses.’

In all, firefighters had the blaze under control within 20 minutes, he added.

Comments Left:
# Characters

Jor12 | 19 May 2018 - 21:04:54

perhaps you should take heed of what you yourself say.

Rorri_2 | 18 May 2018 - 16:32:43

"Completely clueless and talking into space,just for the sake to say something" Aahhh,yes.Totally agree.Nothing further to add"... wow, certainly described that comment. For once, just once, can you actually add to any comment, without simply to putting people down, I'm sure, somewhere, deep inside your "brain" there is some intelligent comment just waiting to get out....

DeKaaskopp | 18 May 2018 - 13:38:09

"Completely clueless and talking into space,just for the sake to say something" Aahhh,yes.Totally agree.Nothing further to add.

Rorri_2 | 18 May 2018 - 05:51:31

Is it me, or does Phuket, in fact Thailand, suffer an abnormally high number of vehicle fires?

Kurt | 17 May 2018 - 19:05:06

Silly comment. ..."it looked like the fire started from the engine, but the engine was not damaged" ...
Completely clueless and talking into space, just for the sake to say something.
Power cables? A discrase. Check out Chalong, Chaofa West Rd, Soi 43/Soi Anusorn, the power poles struggling/cracking to keep up cables, 50% out of order.
What a tragedy and care free not handling. Dumb.

New Phuket Governor announced, starts role Oct 1

I wish the new governor great success in his upcoming difficult position. I would also like him to b...(Read More)

Chinese tourist drowns at Nai Harn

Of course it of utmost importance to state that "red flags were posted" so the blame goes ...(Read More)

Reach of the ancient empire. Were the Greeks or Romans in Phuket or the Peninsula?

I visited Egypt in 87. The statues and paintings did not look like present day Egyptians. When in T...(Read More)

Hope floats to raise the Phoenix

Probably can't swim either. ...(Read More)

Phuket Opinion: Never look back, never learn

Christy, this is Thailand. The worst punishment would be transferred to an inactive post. I know. Ha...(Read More)

Phoenix tour boat owner to fight charges, renounces confession

The Thai judicial system is under the microscope on this one as it's high profile the police, la...(Read More)

Phoenix tour boat owner to fight charges, renounces confession

It really doesn't matter how much assistance she provided to the survivors. What about the 47 de...(Read More)

Phuket tour boat fire investigation underway

Underway-underway-underway. Do they really not know/realise their own shortcomings in their jobs on ...(Read More)

New Phuket Governor announced, starts role Oct 1

A new Governor, a new Captain on the ship Phuket! Let's hope the change brings something good f...(Read More)

New Phuket Governor announced, starts role Oct 1

According to his CV with a Master in Public Administration (M.P.A.) at the American International Co...(Read More)