The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) also noted that bluebottles had been found on the sands at Surin, Kamala and Nai Thon beaches, on Phuket’s northwest coast.
“These bluebottles have been brought ashore by the southwest monsoon. Please beware,” the DMCR warning said.
Prathaiyut Chuayuan of the Phuket Life Guard Service warned that bluebottles can deliver a debilitating sting.
“Last year, lifeguards helped two tourists after they were stung,” he told The Phuket News.
“They could not breath well, but we immediately treated them with first aid and had them taken to hospital before their condition became serious.”
Lifeguards find bluebottles on Phuket’s beaches every year, but are well prepared to treat victims stung by them, Mr Prathaiyut said.
“Our lifeguards are trained to cleanse the sting by washing it only with warm water,” he explained.
“They specifically do not use vinegar, as this can make the sting worse. Then they have the victims taken to hospital as soon as possible. That’s it,” he said.
In the meantime, lifeguards will post signs to warn all people visiting the beaches to beware the dangerous stingers, Mr Prathaiyut added.