Oak Maedow Phuket BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET Kata Rocks

Dual prices on agenda

BANGKOK: The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to propose to the prime minister the idea of ditching dual pricing at local attractions for expatriates in Thailand, as well as asking tour operators to tailor packages to this target group.

tourism
By Bangkok Post

Wednesday 5 August 2020, 09:10AM

Foreigners are charged B200 to enter Sa Morakot (Emerald Pool), a popular attraction in Krabi, while Thais pay just B20. Photo: 2PriceThailand Facebook page / via Bangkok Post

The packages should be attractive enough to lure expatriates, a group that could contribute B1 billion in tourism revenue to help stimulate the economy, said Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, reports the Bangkok Post.

“I’m planning to discuss offering expatriates the same price as locals with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, providing them an equal chance to visit tourist sites such as national parks and temples,” Mr Phiphat said.

Meanwhile, the ministry, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and tourism operators are scheduled to hold a meeting today with private tour companies about creating packages for expats, both as a group and for independent tourists.

Expats here deserve to be treated like locals but they regularly face price discrimination, said TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

Mr Yuthasak said one idea is to provide an identification card for expatriates to use while travelling.

The agency is also planning to introduce a weekday tourism campaign to help disperse the number of tourists on work days.

A conclusion on both plans is expected to be reached this week.

BRITISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, PHUKET

Mr Yuthasak said the supply side is developing well enough, as the number of operators that received the Safety and Health Administration (SHA) standard has reached 4,021 companies, including 1,010 in Bangkok, 498 in Phuket and 340 in Chiang Mai.

The SHA award is meant to improve tourist confidence in the post-pandemic era.

"We have to boost domestic demand and tourism revenue in the third quarter," Mr Yuthasak said. "The goal is to build tourism momentum and encourage operators to open, rather than waiting for international arrivals."

He said the agency will hear from the private sector at a joint meeting today about the updated situation of the tourism business, such as how many of them already received soft loans, and the preferred direction for Thai tourism in the near future.

Mr Yuthasak said the TAT board approved the appointment of new deputy governors to replace two executives, Srisuda Wanapinyosak and Noppadon Pakprot, who will retire in September.

Kritsana Kaewthamrong will replace Mr Noppadon as the deputy governor for domestic marketing, while Apichai Chatchalermkit will look after digital R&D.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot will shift from digital R&D to replace Mrs Srisuda in international marketing for Europe, Africa, Middle East and the Americas.

HubertK | 08 August 2020 - 22:14:12

Mr.Lalala   Calling someone from a certain group of people "dodgy" is premature, but you call Thai's clueless,unskilled and scammer .So this means you have more rights to judge people than me ? That's interesting. But maybe you see now how stupid generalizing actually is.

DeKaaskopp | 08 August 2020 - 15:19:45

@Rolli2    How about black people from Africa ? They have dark skin.According to you "dark skin get in cheaper". Is this true ? And what about Latinos ? Are they allowed in cheaper too because of their color ? Just curious !

LALALA | 08 August 2020 - 13:56:23

Hubert K....first of all you do not know my business partner so calling him dodgy is a bit premature. Secondly this speech is exactly what experienced with Thais, they are simply clueless, unskilled and try rip you off whenever they can. Thats why I refuse to venture in any business where Thai people are involved.

Kurt | 08 August 2020 - 04:51:11

That 'tax-payer' thinking is wrong. All foreign tourists are tax-payer in their own country.  While children, many low income and retired Thai in Thailand not pay taxes. Besides,  the ticket price list indirect tell thai people that foreigners are financial superior. It confirms the thinking that all foreigners are rich. Which is not true.

HubertK | 07 August 2020 - 22:01:59

No Lalala,it says nothing.It's as stupid as the saying:" Don't jew me " Where I come from we call people from one neighboring country stingy,people from another neighboring country greedy. I better not say how they call Romanians or people from Bulgaria.So forget about what your dodgy business partner says.

Rorri_2 | 07 August 2020 - 18:19:30

Sir Burr | 07 August 2020 - 16:14:09
"You guys do know that if o show a Thai driving license, you get the Thai price,".... not always

Rorri_2 | 07 August 2020 - 18:17:07

what a sign says.

Rorri_2 | 07 August 2020 - 18:16:39

Pascale "Rorri2,again you are wrong but post to argue ! Look at the picture.It says "Foreigner", again you FAIL to understand what I am saying, irrespective of what the sign says, fact is, dark skin get in cheaper, unless they fess up... white skin always pays more.. I do hope my "simple" explanation helps you. I deal in real life facts... not what should happen, or what a...

LALALA | 07 August 2020 - 18:09:31

Sir Burr, having a Thai driver license and paying taxes in Thailand is not connected.

Sir Burr | 07 August 2020 - 16:14:09

You guys do know that if o show a Thai driving license, you get the Thai price. You might have to argue a bit, but I've always got in. I'm white, so, ergo, it's not about skin color, but about if you are a tax-payer, or not.

LALALA | 07 August 2020 - 14:48:39

Its not only about dual pricing, around 1 year ago I was sitting with a Malaysian business partner and he told me that there is a common speech in Malaysia saying, 'don't Thai me', which means same as 'don't cheat on me'. This says it all.

Christy Sweet | 07 August 2020 - 12:00:48

SEC2 were you paying in cash,  local bank card or foreign?

DeKaaskopp | 07 August 2020 - 11:45:54

Kurt is right ! The centuries long oppression and discrimination of white colored people needs to stop.Time to stand up and fight for our rights and equality.

Kurt | 07 August 2020 - 11:16:47

Quite funny to label victims of racism/discrimination  as being racist. The world ups and down.  Of course, in the normal world.

Christy Sweet | 07 August 2020 - 11:08:17

Good idea to appreciate the expats' spending power.  Why not grandfather  visas  for a full year?  We'll spend more, maybe buy that large appliance if we know we'll be able to stay.

Kurt | 07 August 2020 - 08:36:37

Anyway, white foreigners can keep their wallets closed when they see that they have to pay 10 times what a coloured person has to pay. Make a photo of the price list and go international viral to shame this thai discrimination in 2020.

Pascale | 06 August 2020 - 19:06:15

It can't get any better if racists start talking about racism. Priceless !  Btw,I support  the ditching of dual pricing.

Kurt | 06 August 2020 - 09:22:08

SEC2,  a electric- and water bill not show or you are Thai or Foreigner. It even can be a bill from a thai neighbour you pay for him as he is may be on holiday, right? Shame on Tesco Lotus Chalong to treat you that way. 100% Personal discrimination. Next time I go there with bill, can not pay, than I make photo of employee and go viral. Than it will become all a misunderstanding.

Kurt | 06 August 2020 - 07:50:32

When you see the photo., it is plain thick skin racism/discriminatory/ anti foreign tourist. Time foreign tourist boycott these places. Anyway they are not that fantastic. Must of the time dirty/polluted.

CaptainJack69 | 06 August 2020 - 02:59:04

@Pascale: I have friends who are brown and not Thai, and some who are white and have Thai citizenship, who do you think gets offered "Thai price"? It is absolutely about skin colour.

Pascale | 05 August 2020 - 22:06:42

Rorri2,again you are wrong but post to argue ! Look at the picture.It says "Foreigner" ! Nothing written about white coloured,black coloured or any other colour ! Just "Foreigner" You will find similar boards at most national parks etc.! They all say " Foreigner"But probably you don't visit such places,therefore your lack of knowledge !

Capricornball | 05 August 2020 - 20:20:14

While travelling in the north with my adult children, there were many National Parks and other places of interest that I refused to go because of this dual pricing...I hate it and will not accept it...I just won't go there.  It makes me want to see Thais charged more for things in my home country.  This is just greedy racism.

Rorri_2 | 05 August 2020 - 18:27:30

Pascale, again you are wrong, but post to argue.. fact, Burmese, Loas, Cambodians are not automatically charged higher, why, because they look Thai, therefore, discrimination is by skin colour.

Pascale | 05 August 2020 - 15:08:22

CaptainJack, it has nothing to do with "skin colour" ! One price for Thai's and one price for foreigners .

SEC2 | 05 August 2020 - 14:29:31

I went to Tesco Chalong to pay my electric bill during Tambon Lockdown.  They told me they only accepted payment from Thai Nationals.   No foreigner payment.  I was sort of shocked because normally I haven't received that kind of treatment living here.  Last month I paid the bill at Big C.  No problem.  I know this isn't dual pricing, but it's dual bill paying...hah.  Never going there...

Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

You have to give it to them they do come up with unique and imbecile ways to screw you for money. If...(Read More)

‘Big Joke’ set to file case against PM

Hahaha, Thai glory at fullest. 90 'Transfers', 80 back to original posts, 'left over ret...(Read More)

Cabinet nod for long holidays in Nov, Dec

@Nasa 12, You are right. Thai Government is even more slow working, but who cares after already 6 y...(Read More)

Prayut backs return of tourists

LALA, plus the 90 day reporting would be a problem as we never stay that long. We only come in Feb f...(Read More)

Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

@Tiburd. My question was more rhetorical. I myself wrote several times about inhumane thai prison si...(Read More)

Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

@Foot, did you go for a Retirement extension or for that 14 days provisional tourist extension a 190...(Read More)

Prayut backs return of tourists

LALALA, We only usually come here each Feb for 2 months to get boat work done. Don't want to get...(Read More)

Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

Foot, did you get 30 day extension from 26 Sept or 14 day "Conditional" extension from Fri...(Read More)

Cabinet nod for long holidays in Nov, Dec

Well well these days off are only for government employees that the taxpayers in LOS pay for. And ch...(Read More)

Phuket Immigration overwhelmed as foreigners race to extend stay in Thailand

How's the social distancing policy going down at the immigration office? ...(Read More)