Spider search only reveals harmless Huntsmans
PHUKET: A search of the house belonging to dead fruit vendor Wanchai Wongsilakorn has found no traces of the deadly spiders believed to have caused his death.
Monday 30 January 2012, 04:49PM
Wanchai Wongsilakorn, 30, died at Thalang Hospital on January 23 after what his wife claims was a spider bite.
Doctors have not yet been able to pin down the exact cause of death. They suspect, however, that it may have been anaphylactic shock – a massive allergic reaction.
A team of officers from the Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary in Thalang searched Mr Wanchai’s house over the weekend and found the relatively harmless Domestic Huntsman Spider, but no deadly arachnids.
Awat Nitikul, the chief of the Environmental Conservation Division of Khao Phra Thaeo told The Phuket News, “If we found any suspicious looking spiders we would take them to the entomologist. But we only found 12 Domestic Huntsman Spiders.”
Mr Wanchai’s body is now in Bangkok and autopsy results are expected to be released mid-February.