Pol Gen Sriwara Rangsipramanakul today told the media that the military court of the 41st Army Circle in Nakhon Sri Thammarat had approved the warrant after tests showed DNA samples collected at the bomb scenes in Phuket clearly matched the DNA of a suspect involved in attacks around Tak Bai in Narathiwat since 2004.
Details of the suspect were withheld because he was still being tracked down, Gen Sriwara said.
Gen Sriwara said the man was a key suspect and could provide links to others in the network behind the attacks throughout Southern Thailand last week that killed four people and injured scores of others.
According to immigration records, the suspect was believed to still be in Thailand, the general noted.
Two unexploded low-pressure time bombs built to be detonated by mobile phones were found in Patong last Wednesday (Aug 10). The devices were found at a garment stall in Paradise Plaza market and a clothing shop in the China Town Plaza on Ra-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd.
The devices were destroyed before they were detonated by the bombers.
Gen Sriwara, who is heading the investigation into the 13 bomb and arson attacks last week, was speaking before he departed for Surat Thani from the Police Aviation Division at Don Muang in Bangkok to follow up the case.
He said investigators were making progress. He had insisted they all be very discreet and thorough to ensure those masterminding the attacks were brought to justice.
Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said on Monday the attacks might have involved southern insurgents hired to carry out the bombings, but were not an extension of the separatist war in the southernmost border provinces.