In its first three years the event went by various names, but from 2008 onwards it was officially known as the “Phuket International Sportfishing Tournament” (P.I.S.T).
In the tournament’s early days there were just five people who joined, but that number soon increased to a healthy number of three-man teams.
By 2009 the event had became so popular that the organisers started to hold a charity evening whereby funds raised from the event were donated to the local Sunshine Village Orphanage.
Now in its 12th year, the decision to run a fun fishing tournament is paying off very well, as rather than paying out prize money to entrants, the money now goes to charity instead.
The P.I.S.T is now the longest-running fishing tournament in Asia, and last year the event alone brought in some B175,000 in funds which were all donated to The Phuket Sunshine Village.
• Registration to enter the tournament is on November 23 from 4pm onwards at the Tamarind Bar & Grill in Chalong.
• The weigh station will be at the Tamarind Bar & Grill in Chalong on all three fishing days – November 23, 24 and 25.
• The final evening and prize-giving party will also be held at the Tamarind Bar & Grill, Chalong
• In an effort to showcase individual team skills, the rules of the P.I.S.T 2016 have been designed to allow teams to fish the event as they would while fun fishing.
• The P.I.S.T 2016 is a three-day team fishing event with top team honours going to the team that tallies the most points (per kilo) during the tournament.
• The tournament also awards prizes to the team that catches the largest fish (by weight) in each eligible species.
• A special release trophy will be awarded to the team releasing the most Billfish.
For more information on the fun, the rules and conditions of entry to the P.I.S.T, click here.
This event is proudly sponsored by The Phuket News.