Fire at Phuket’s Great Glove factory
PHUKET: Three fire engines raced yesterday morning (February 26) to one of Phuket’s few factories, Great Glove (Thailand) Co in Baan Manik, after fire broke out there.
Thursday 27 February 2014, 11:26AM
Fire trucks from Cherng Talay, Sri Soonthorn and Thepkrasattri arrived at the factory to assist factory staff who had been battling the blaze in a warehouse and office building for about 20 minutes. It was soon extinguished.
Chor Ang Kui, the Malaysian factory manager, said, “A short circuit in an exhaust fan in the warehouse’s roof caused the fire, which spread across 50 square meters of the upper floor.
“We cannot estimate the cost of damage yet. Police have taken forensic evidence for checking.”
As the name suggests, Great Glove makes rubber gloves, mostly for the medical and high-tech industries. It is part of the Malaysian Top Glove group, which has 25 factories in Asia, including two more in Thailand, in Songkhla.