Phuket: ‘No blow-back seen’ from ‘Evil Man’ vid
KRABI: Phi Phi Islands Tourism Business Association chairman Wirapas Jantaro says that he has seen no fallout from the Evil Man In Krabi YouTube vid, and has urged authorities and tourism organisations to ignore it.
Saturday 17 November 2012, 08:11PM
“Though the incident occurred on Ao Nang Beach, it has not affected tourism to either Ao Nang or Phi Phi. I expect numbers to average 30 per cent more than last year,” he said.
He attributed the apparent increase to reduced political tensions and an absence of violent natural disasters in Thailand.
“The best way to deal with the video is to ignore it,” he said. “The Provincial Office and relevant government units should co-ordinate their public relations on the subject of how regulations ensuring safety here have been strengthened – that’s a better way of going about it.”
Scandinavians are arriving on Phi Phi in increasing numbers, signalling the beginning of the tourist season there. Business operators say there has been no adverse impact from the vid.
Mr Wirapas said occupancy in the islands’ resorts and hotels is already averaging 70 per cent: “Numbers are up,” he said, “especially from Scandinavia.” He said 2,000 - 2,500 tourists are arriving daily.
“Most are Europeans with deep pockets who stay many days in succession,” he added, “and though some arrive on day-trips out of Phuket, still their spending locally is worth while.”
He said among tour boat operators, long-tail boat owners, and food vendors, income is increasing.
Today, total views of the vid were approaching 500,000. – Source: Manager Online